Part 1.4

Melissa sat beside Aaron, who was already lying on his bed and closing his eyes. She stared at the full moon outside. The werewolf part of her urged to howl to the moon, but she suppressed it. Now would not be the best time.

She looked back at him. She couldn't take her eyes off the huge scars he has plastered all over his body. Lumps built up in her throat. She sobbed quietly to herself.

He's really alone in this world, she has said to Toby when she saw Aaron for the first time. Almost all the time she tried to convince herself it was a dream, but unfortunately, it wasn't.

No. She should stop. She didn't want to end up like how Mom and Dad treated him: excluding him from the world. Melissa knew that they meant well, but it somehow backfired. Especially now, he needed all the people he could get.

Aaron's snore interrupted her thoughts. She blinked back her tears and smiled to herself. He was finally sleeping.

When Toby left, Rowan told her that he couldn't sleep because of Shu. Melissa went to Aaron's room and convinced him that he needed to sleep.

Are you still keeping your promise? Aaron had asked her.

What promise?

That you would do something so Shu and I can talk.

She was appalled. Yes. I'm trying to find a way. I know you care about her a lot, but you should rest. You're body needs it.

Melissa knew that she was lying to him, and she felt bad about that. But their conversation made her realize that Shu, whoever she was, was important to Aaron.

She stood up. Melissa looked at his bed one last time before she left the room.

Lucinda, Kawaii~Chan, and Kim were sitting on the couch when Melissa climbed down the stairs.

"Hey," Lucinda said. She twirled a strand of her orange hair as a habit. "How's Aaron?"

Melissa sat on the couch. "He's. . .fine."

"I'll take your word for it. But if you're having a hard time, you can talk to us."

She managed a small smile. "Thanks."

Lucinda turned to Kim. "How about the ghost, Kim? Emmalyn?"

"She hasn't been talking," Kim muttered miserably. Her high-pitched voice made it sound funny at first, like she inhaled a helium balloon every time she talked.

"That's concerning," Kawaii~Chan interjected before Lucinda said anything. "Usually she talks, right?"

"Yeah. After we left, she hasn't been talking ever since."

"Can you try talking to her?" Melissa told Kim. "Maybe. . ."

"Emmalyn? Are—are you there?" she called out to no one in particular. The rest waited for a few seconds, but no one answered the call.

"Please talk," she continued.

More silence.

Finally, she sighed. "Ugh. It's hopeless."

"It's weird finding her not talking," Lucinda deduced. "Maybe she already left your body? That's the only thing I can think of right now."

Silence settled in the air.

Kim sighed. "Maybe. . .maybe you're right. Emmalyn has left me."

Lucinda scooted a bit closer to Kim. She patted her on the back. "Don't worry about her. The dangers are over, Kim."