Part 7.1

Ivan loved the austere world he was in. When it snows, it's always cloudy and quiet. Everywhere he looked, it was just himself present.

Too bad that also meant he couldn't pull any pranks at the moment. Still, he had that stockpile of potions back in. . .his store and he could always brew more should the need arise.

The Wishing Well was a far cry from where he lived. He had to take a long bus ride to Lover's Lane. But it was worth it. It had the most extensive materials and apparatuses for potion making within the immediate vicinity.

It had practically became routine for him at this point. He would wake up early to freshen up before work. Then, on the way to the store, he would check for some new orders online. After that, he would begin brewing potions, packaging them, and maintaining relations with potential investors and valued customers. He was literally a one-man powerhouse.

Those business classes and side-hustles were worth it, he thought to himself, slightly amused.

He would work until late at night. Before he closed up, he would make some potions for his own amusement and went on to local clubs and gatherings to terrorize unsuspecting people. Once he had all his fun, he would retire to his house and repeat the entire cycle.

It got too repetitive for his taste, especially since it was always quiet in the neighborhood.

So, one could imagine the surprise Ivan had on his face when he saw people walking in the sidewalks and talking on their porches.

He kept his head low as he walked by, trying to keep a low profile. Many questions swarmed his head as he walked. Why are they back? What took them so long? And if they're back, does that mean. . ?

He arrived at the store and tried to open the door with his magic. As expected, the door was already unlocked.

He stepped inside and saw that the room had been practically the same. He breathed a sigh of relief. . .

Until a potion came flying out of nowhere and splashed on his head.

Instantly, he fell unconscious.

-

When he woke up, he was bound on the couch. Lucinda and a stranger were standing in front of him.

He smirked. "Welcome back."

Lucinda scoffed. "Shut up. Why are you snooping around my things?"

"Come on, not even a thank you? I saved your business from ruin."

"I'd rather let it be ruined than have it run by you."

"I did you a favor!"

"I. . ." She tried to formulate a reply, but she couldn't.

Ivan turned to the stranger with brown and blonde hair. "And who is this fine lady? You're quite pretty."

"Don't flirt in front of me!" Lucinda interrupted. She forced him to look at her. "We agreed that we'll never see each other again, so why are you here, running this business for me?"

"Well, I just happened to be around the area, so. . ." He shrugged. It was a trivial matter, really.

"That's a lie," she countered flatly. "I know there's an ulterior motive somewhere."

"No, there really isn't. I swear."

She raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, maybe I wanted to surprise you." He shrugged again. "I thought this might be a great way to do that."

"But breaking in my house? That's a new low, even for you."

"How was I supposed to run your business when everything's all inside your house?"

"Maybe you could've asked, Ivan."

"We're not exactly in speaking terms."

"And yet you're still in your trying-to-get-me-back phase." She sighed. "Can't you just. . .move on already?"

"You know I can't, darling. You're one of a kind."

She rolled her eyes. "Kim, you can untie him now. See yourself out, Ivan. Thanks for keeping my business alive, I guess."

As Kim moved to undo the bindings, Ivan kept a measured look on Lucinda. "You could've easily just used magic to untie me. Instead, you're letting your lackey here do all the work."

She turned away from him and made a dismissive gesture. "Just. . .go, Ivan. Talking to you is more than enough to kill me."

Kim finished untying. Ivan stood up. "I thought you were always dependent on your magic. What exactly happened when you were gone?"

He knew he struck a sore spot. "Get out of my house," she said, a hint of venom in her voice, but she wouldn't even look at him.

It didn't take long for him to connect the dots. "You've somehow lost your magic, haven't you?"

Everything seemed to fall silent.

"Just. . ." Her voice shook. "Get out, Ivan. I don't want you here."

Suddenly he felt sympathetic. He wanted to help her. "Lucinda, I--"

She faced him. Tears streamed down her face. "SHUT UP! I--I can't do this right now. I've been through--Irene knows--so much right now. I am so close to just exploding on the spot, you wouldn't even be able to comprehend what I'm feeling right now. So if you want to be a good little animal, you will get out of my house and never show your face around here ever again! You hear me?"

He alnost exposed his laugh. It was like he and her were arguing like a couple again. It reminded him of the times that could've been. So, even when Lucinda was raging around like a dragon, he maintained his cool.

"Lucinda, listen." He stepped forward. "I don't know what you've been through, and let's be honest: I can never relate to whatever pain you have. But. . .I'm here to help if you need me."

She remained quiet. That's a good sign.

"Even though you think we're. . .not in the best of terms, I still want to be close with you. I hope that you can give me another chance to be in your life, as a friend. Duh."

She spent her sweet time wiping her tears. "Do you have a way to get my magic back?" she asked timidly, cleverly avoiding Ivan's heartfelt plea.

He decided that she'll open up to it in her own time. Being friends could wait, after all. "I don't, but I know someone who does."

Her eyes lit up. "Who?"

He gave her a small smile. "We can pay a visit to an old teacher of ours."