Part 5.4

"What?!" Aphmau exclaimed, only to cover her mouth when Aaron murmured something in his sleep. "Sorry."

Melissa managed a smile. "Yeah, I know. It must be a shocker for you."

"Why, though?"

She shrugged. "Isn't it obvious? The Lycan family business exists, you know."

It didn't take long for Aphmau to connect the dots. She looked at Aaron, who was peacefully resting. The void scars began to look like it was part of his skin. He had already too much to deal with on his plate right now.

She looked at Melissa. "You must be going back to smooth certain things out."

"I knew you were smart sometimes." She smiled again. "The press was really worried about the incident at Starlight. And the fact that--in the media's eyes--Aaron's existence is questionable. . .it's not good for our business."

"Of course." Aphmau widened her eyes as she realized something else. "Aaron is the heir to his parents' entire fortune. He's the icon of the business."

"Technically, it should be me, but"--she shrugged again--"you know those kinds of parents."

Aphmau remembered Zach. "Yeah."

They didn't say anything to each other for a while.

"Well, I shouldn't be holding you for much longer," Aphmau began.

Melissa placed a hand on Aphmau's. "Promise me one thing. Please take care of Aaron for me. And. . ." She looked at Aaron. "Try to explain all of this when he wakes up. I don't want to disturb him."

Her eyes glistened and her heart grew heavy. "I will. We should hug, or something."

"Yeah, yeah." They both leaned forward, making sure not to touch Aaron. Instead of a hug, Aphmau managed a pat on the back.

"Good. He needs all the help he can get." She flashed one more smile.

Aphmau thought that it reminded her of an old woman's smile, minus the wrinkles. Melissa's smile showed signs of wear and age. Her eyes and thick eyebags creased when her lips moved upwards. She really has the wisdom, she thought.

"He does," she mumbled.

They locked eyes again. It was the one last stare of agreement before Melissa tore away and left the room.

Aphmau looked at Aaron and smiled sadly to herself.

I'm so sorry you're like this, she wanted to say. I'm so sorry we're all like this. It's all my fault.

I don't deserve to live.

Zach lay on the bed, staring mindlessly at the white ceiling, watching the fan blades turn at a rapid pace.

One time, he sighed to himself. Without anyone looking, he took initiative and took the guest room beside the bar area of the house. Nobody complained--at least, not yet.

His room was mostly empty. It had the essentials, of course: the bed, the closet, the fan, the desk, and the roof.

Except the bed was lackluster, the closet was empty, the fan was creaking, the desk was also empty, and the roof was bland.

He had been wearing the same clothes from his long journey in the forest. Sure, he washed them in the bathroom, but it was starting to look like he should beg for new clothes.