Part 2.1

The days passed quickly. A week later, they were already decorating the lodge. Kawaii~Chan and Lucinda hung the buntings above the front door.

Kawaii~Chan pinned her end of the bunting and sighed. "Finally!" she said in a cheery voice. "It's done!"

Lucinda rolled her eyes playfully at her. "You know that we still haven't began making the food yet right?"

"Oh right!" She looked concerned. "My cookies! I need to make—whoa!" She fell down the ladder she was standing on.

"Nana!" she heard someone scream. Kawaii~Chan closed her eyes for a brief moment, but when she opened them, she saw a familiar face.

Zane's blue eyes told her everything. He was concerned over her safety. Her heart felt warm on the inside. She blushed.

They looked at each other for a few seconds. Zane blushed. "Um, Kawaii~Chan. Are you alright?"

"Yes, yes, yes," she replied hurriedly. He got her to her feet. "I'm fine, Zane. Thank you so much."

Lucinda just chuckled on the background. "Ooh!"

"Lucinda!" Kawaii~Chan stared daggers at her.

She climbed down the ladder. "Fine, alright. I'll be out of your hair." Then she walked to the stairs and went up to the second floor.

Once she was gone, Kawaii~Chan turned to Zane. "Why did you say my real name?" she hissed. She pouted. "Now she knows."

"Well if she did, she would've questioned it," he shot back.

"Maybe she was keeping it to herself, how should I know? But Zane, it was our secret!"

"Alright, alright. I'm sorry, Kawaii~Chan. I got carried away. You were falling and—"

"It's alright, but please don't shout it out like that. I'm. . ." She looked away from his eyes. "I'm trying to find a way to tell the secret to everyone."

He blushed. "You—you are?"

"Yeah." She stared at him. They were lost at their own glances, as if they were in another world. It was only the two of them, and nothing more.

"Um. . ." Zane blinked. "I. . .I actually wanted to talk to you."

"R—really?"

"Yeah. Somewhere private." He walked over to the front door and opened it, revealing the lovely beach outside. "Ladies first."

She giggled. Then she exited the lodge, followed by Zane.

They sat on the soft sands of the shore. The water pounded in front of them. Their legs were outstretched. She breathed the salty air.

Kawaii~Chan turned to Zane. "What do you want to talk about?"

Zane stared at the sea and blushed. "Um, I—I just wanted to th—thank you for the therapy sessions you gave me."

She smiled. "Aww, Zane. You don't need to say that. I did it because you were my friend, and you really needed it."

"Still. . .I feel like it needs to be said. You've done a lot. And this welcome party for Aphmau and Travis. . .it's a great idea. They'll really appreciate it."

She blushed, without saying another word.

He looked at her and blushed harder.

They gazed into each other's eyes. Their fingers laced around each other's. He chuckled softly to herself. But she did the unthinkable.

She touched his cheek and pushed away the hair that partially covered his right eye. He practically froze in his place. Then she leaned to him and kissed him. She closed her eyes for a few seconds as she felt her heart burn.

Her heart pounded to a beat. She had seen love, but she hadn't experienced it. . .yet.

But her mind got the best of her passion. She pulled away, ashamed. Zane looked confused. She looked at her with sad puppy eyes. "Was. . .was it too soon?"

His eyes widened. But he smiled. "No. It. . .it felt just right."

"Aww, look at the two of them," someone gushed behind them. "So lovey-dovey."

They whipped their heads around to see Lucinda standing a few feet away from them, beaming. And she knew the exact reason. She looked at Zane, who was just as bewildered.

Seconds later, they were chasing the giggling Lucinda down the beach. "LUCINDA!" Kawaii~Chan screamed.

She stopped by Aaron's room and knocked on the door. "Aaron?" she called out. "Are you there?"

"Come in," he replied nonchalantly.

Melissa swung the door open and walked slowly to him. She saw him staring at the sunset again on his wheelchair, as always. "Here," she said, giving the glass on water. "Some water."

"Oh, um. . ." He took it and chugged it down. "Thanks." He gave an assuring smile.

"No problem." She sat down on the bed. Melissa looked at the sunset with him. She had to admit, there was something magical with the sunset. Maybe that was the reason why Aaron liked to stare at it. Even though he couldn'y really see, at least he knew there was hope for him. It was that feeling that fueled him everyday.

"How's the preparations coming?" he asked, turning his head slightly to the side.

"Oh, um, we're doing well," she answered. "Kawaii~Chan will be making cookies. Sylvana will be making some tacos with some extra-spicy sauce. There'll be a lot of food."

He chuckled softly. "It's quite a feast then."

She smiled. "Right." Then she stood up. "I have to go. If we want to surprise them tomorrow, then I'll have to prepare."

He said nothing. Melissa smiled ruefully and began walking towards the door when he called out her name. "Melissa."

She stopped. She turned to him. "What is it, Aaron?"

"I'm—" His voice quivered. "I'm sorry. For being so helpless. I—I can't remember anything. It's my fault."

Melissa walked over to him and hugged him. "Don't say that." She smiled. "Don't blame yourself. We're here for you."

He sniffled. "Why. . .why is everyone helping me?" She noticed the silent tears flowing from his eyes. She wanted to cry with him. "I can't fit in. I need help on almost everything. I think I'm a—"

"Nobody?" She placed a hand on her shoulder. "You're not a nobody, Aaron. You're my brother. You're their friend. Even. . .even if you don't remember, they just want to see you happy." A lump formed in his throat. She sniffled.

She could hear the breaths through his teeth. "I wish. . .I wish I knew something else. I wish this didn't happen."

Melissa just ruffled his hair. She bit his lip. "I love you." Then she stood up and walked away. She opened the door and left the room, leaving Aaron be.

When she closed it, she wiped a tear off her face.