Part 2.2

The morning rays forced her to wake up. She groaned to herself. She had gotten used to people waking her up from her sleep—Mom, Aaron, Katelyn, and other people she couldn't remember.

So usually, she would wake up in the afternoon on a typical weekend if she could, but after everything that had happened, she slept late and woke up early. Everything just kept her awake at night.

Aphmau moved her back around while keeping her legs on its place. The doctor said it was to prevent stiffness.

At the corner of her eye, she saw a hint of the bright sun. She raised her right hand as a shield and looked away.

Then someone knocked on the door. "Come in," she said.

The door swung open and there stood Travis, already wearing a fresh set of clothes: he wore a shirt with alternating thin white and blue stripes and some khaki pants, as if they were going back to Starlight. He had a huge smile plastered on his face.

She looked bewildered. "What's going on, Travis?"

"We're going back today!"

Her face paled. "T—today?! Already?"

"Time flies so fast, right?" Travis sat down on the chair beside Aphmau's hospital bed. "We're going to be out of here and back on Lover's Lane today!"

"R—really?! I—I can't believe it."

His smile widened. "I know right? I can't wait to see Katelyn again. . ." He stared off, probably daydreaming about some scenarios. Travis went oddly silent for the next minute.

"Travis?" Aphmau called out.

No answer.

"Travis? Travis!"

He shook his head. "Uh, you were saying?"

She sighed and looked away. "Never mind."

Travis squeezed her left hand and looked at her. His eyes locked onto hers, staring daggers at her, which creeped her out. He seemed very concerned. It was only hard to stare at him.

Finally, he stood up. "Do you need time?"

She seemed shocked for a second. But she unfroze and nodded. "Yeah. I've been. . .out of my mind lately. I think I need to be alone."

"I understand." He went for the door. Travis turned to her and smiled ruefully. "If you need anything, call me, or scream, or whatever."

She sniggered. "Alright, I will."

He disappeared past the door, but he peeked again before closing it. She breathed a sigh of relief.

She looked around, half-expecting Blaze to come around, but to no avail. Defeated, Aphmau sat up, leaning against the wall. After their pep talk, she hadn't seen him again. His presence made her tear up a little. Travis had been the person she had been talking to, but she couldn't seem to find the courage to tell him about her thoughts. But luckily, he understood her current state. Aphmau owed it up to him; she should thank him sometime.

Today's finally the day, she thought. I can see everyone else again. Even. . .even. . .

Her throat swelled. She sniffled, trying to keep from showing off her tears. Everyone must be happy to see me. I can't disappoint.

But Aaron remained in her head. She wanted to hug him again, to feel his warmth. It had been months and she was desperate to see him again. But a part of her pained to see him. What would happen to them in the future? What was once clear became obscure the following moment.