Part 2.4

"Ahhhhhhh!"

Melissa turned her attention to Kawaii~Chan, who was kneeling on the couch and staring at the window. "Kawaii~Chan, you need to tone down the screaming."

"They're here! They're here! Aphmau and Travis are hereeeeeeee!"

She stood up. "Really?"

Lucinda appeared on the doorframe of the back door. "What?"

A toilet flushed. Then the door of the bathroom opened, showing Sylvana's excited face. "My mija is finally here? My mija is finally here!"

Travis and Toby helped her up to the dock.

She looked around incredulously. This place wasn't Lover's Lane. This was an island. They were standing on a dock close to a beach. Not far from the sand was a wooden cabin shrouded by trees. In front of them was a red carpet, leading up to the front porch. She could see tiny lamps on the side of the doors, emitting a yellowish light. Judging by the size, it would be around three or four floors. The cabin closely resembled that where. . .ugh. She shook her head. That wasn't worth remembering. Not again.

But what was worth remembering was that all her friends were in there.

Aaron was there.

"Weird," Travis spoke, interrupting her train of thought. "There's no one to welcome us."

She didn't say anything. Behind her, Toby held the handles on her wheelchair firmly. "They're inside, I think. Shall we?"

Then he wheeled her on the carpet all the way to the end, where they climbed the makeshift ramp to the entrance.

Now she realized that the blurs on the side of the porch were tables and chairs. They stood in front of the door to the inside of the lodge. Her heart palpitated and she panicked at the last minute.

Toby walked to the front of the door and knocked a few times. Then the door slowly opened. Aphmau held her breath.

She saw Lucinda holding the door open. Her orange hair was tied in a ponytail. She was wearing a sleeveless shirt and shorts. She had a weary smile on her face. "Welcome home, Aphmau." Then she moved her eyes to Travis. "You too."

Toby pushed her in and they saw everyone in the house with banners and balloons and colorful decorations.

"Surprise! Welcome home!" they exclaimed.

Her throat lumped. She couldn't hold her tears. Everyone sank into silence. Her mom rushed to her side. "What happened, mija? Is there something wrong?"

"N--no." Her voice cracked, wiping the tears that escaped her eyes. "It's perfect. It's just. . ." She couldn't explain what she's feeling. She felt sad and angry in the past. She felt happy about the present. She felt afraid of the future.

"Hi Aphmau," came a new voice. She turned to where it came from and saw Melissa helping Aaron upright. He was wearing a red hoodie with a red cloth over his eyes. His face showed no reaction, primarily because he can't see her anymore. Which was okay, because he shouldn't be worried; he's living a new life. Which was not okay because she couldn't see him like this.

They moved closer to her. Melissa guided Aaron's right hand to her shoulder. "Aaron," his sister announced. "This is Aphmau."

"A--" he mumbled. "Aphmau. Aph. I've--I've heard a lot about you. Thank"--he smiled--"thank you." His smile held a thousand memories. He's been through so much pain, so much sorrow, but he kept going with that same smile. Now it brought no joy, but relief that this was over and he could start anew.