Part 7.4

The sounds of lugging luggage permeated Aaron's solemn breakfast. He felt some morsels on his chin as a result of his continuously clumsy efforts to blindly put the food in his mouth.

He was the last person to finish his breakfast. The others already had their dishes in the sink, save for his and Aphmau's, if she ever came down to eat. Aaron couldn't make out the plate very well from his position, but he knew that it was still very much filled with food.

He tried to put the last spoonful of food, only to give up and leave it on the table. Instead, he took it and carefully made his way to the kitchen to place his plate among the others.

"Aaron!" Melissa called out, her voice distant. She must probably be outside. "Are you done eating your breakfast?"

"Yeah!" he replied, looking outside. He saw a huge black blur where the empty road should be. He assumed it must be their ride.

Aaron made his way to the couch and grabbed the backpack on the table. He carried it on his back effortlessly as he made his way out.

She grabbed his arm and guided him to the car. "Are you ready?"

He went inside, making sure to bend down low enough. "I am."

"That's good to hear." She closed the door. Moments later, he heard another car door open and her sliding in the shotgun seat.

"It's time to go," she said to the driver. Then, the car lurched forward and sped through the snowy landscape.

He looked out the window, the houses disappearing from his point of view. He managed a sad smile, only for himself.

Even when he was going back home, he felt like he had already left it.

-

"Did you see that?" Kim said to Lucinda as they watched a black car leaving the neighborhood from the window. "That looked like the cars from Melissa's business."

"She must be off to more press conferences, or something," mumbled Lucinda in reply. She turned to her. "Either way, we're leaving too."

They turned to their own packed bags in the living room before they sat down on the couches. Lucinda hated that they were idling away while time moved forward incessantly. They should be moving incessantly too.

But they were really just waiting for one more person.

Several minutes passed before the door to the potions room opened, revealing Ivan levitating the spellbook on one hand and holding a cart of potions on the other.

"So this is the spellbook of the demon warlock of legend, huh." Ivan wore a cryptic look. "I don't know how you managed to get this on your hands, Lucinda, but from the knowledge this book has, he must wield a lot of power."

She rolled her eyes at the sight of Ivan. "I remember that you're also a warlock. You probably want that spell book too, huh?"

His eyes betrayed a glint of mischief. "Perhaps." Then, he sighed at the sight of Lucinda's venomous stare. "But even if I stole this, I wouldn't be able to recreate the spells for dark magic, 'cause I don't have that much mana."

"Well deserved," she spat. "The world knows how much of a dunce you are."

He winked. "Or the world knows how much potent I am and is trying to hold me back. It's a matter of perspective."

"Are you two done?" Kim interrupted them, before Lucinda could say another word. "We still have a bus to catch remember?"

"No need," a new voice piped up. The three turned to see that Katelyn had welcomed herself to Lucinda's house with her own luggage. "Kacey is going to get us a ride."