Part 3.3

Aphmau groaned. She squinted her eyes open, the world is a blur. It took her a few seconds for her eyes to adjust to the light at the ceiling.

"Ughhh. Too bright," she mumbled, her throat dry as she covered her eyes with her hands. She tried to sleep again, but she couldn't. She wet her lips before sitting up.

Aphmau rubbed her eyes and yawned. She was still wrapped in blankets. Her lower extremities weren't hurting. But when Aphmau tried to move them, the pain flared up out of nowhere.

She was useless yet again.

"Aph," came a voice. "Glad you woke up."

She turned to her left and saw Melissa sitting across her. She wore a tired smile on her face. "We've been waiting for hours," she continued. "Does your legs still hurt?"

Aphmau moved so she could lean her back on the wall behind her. "Yeah."

She nodded. "Mhm. You must be hungry too. . ."

At that moment, Aphmau's stomach rumbled. "How—how long was I out?"

"Almost 24 hours. Some of us are having dinner downstairs."

She rubbed her head. Her eyes widened. "What?! I slept that long?"

"You must be really tired after the party. But it's alright. You need a lot of rest too."

Aphmau turned to the glass window overlooking the sea. The sky was slowly turning a darker shade of blue over time.

She sunk in her bed and covered her face with her hands. "I don't want to be useless, Melissa. Why is it that every time something bad happens, I get tossed around like a doll? It's just. . ." She swallowed her tears. "I can't do anything right."

Melissa took a deep breath and transferred so she could sit beside Aphmau. "Rest isn't a wrong thing. It's--"

"No, you don't get it." She groaned. "It's not just that. I'm broken. Everything I know is in ruins. I'm injured, my mind is everywhere when I sleep, and Aaron doesn't even remember me. I have a lot of things in my mind right now. . .and I'm not sure about what should I think." She made several hand gestures as if she was talking to a person on the ceiling. "Heck, I--I'm not sure if I should think."

"Think about yourself first," Melissa advised. "Everything's going to be alright, Aph. Don't worry."

Before Aphmau could reply, her stomach gurgled again. Blood rushed up to her cheeks. "Um. . ."

Melissa chuckled. "I'll get you some food, alright." Then she walked out of the room. Then, Aphmau heard the door close.

She sighed to herself. Why can't anyone understand me? Why is it that I'm in this mess? I could've just lived normally and actually get a life. It feels so. . .unreal.

And now look at what I've become. Is Aaron even my boyfriend at this point, if he doesn't remember me? I couldn't even walk properly. I've made people suffer because of what I am and who I was with.

She thought about the people in Starlight resort those months ago. She thought about why the Guardian Forces were there. They were looking for them. The people were stranded because of them.

Because of I was with. Aaron had the most dangerous bloodline. It's because I was with him that I had to suffer in the first place.

Why won't anyone understand that?

Aaron mindlessly ate his dinner on the table. He was the only one there, since everyone was already done.

He only saw blurs all around him. The large black blur must be the television, or the window showing the dark sky outside. He's been here for a few months; it took him long enough to get the layout of this place.

It never unfazed him. His blindness felt like it was something that was inherent to him. But he eventually realized that everyone was worried about him. He realized that it wasn't with him, it was given to him. And they didn't tell him why and how.

He sighed and spun the spoon around on the table. His mind wasn't doing him any good either.

He couldn't remember anything else aside from his dog and Shu. "I wish I could talk to her," he mumbled.

"Talk to who?" Zane's voice came from behind. Aaron stood up on end. He accidentally slammed his hand too hard on the table.

Zane walked over to the dining table and sat across Aaron. "I think we need to have a chat. About her."

"Her who?" Aaron locked eyes with a gray and black blur that must be Zane.

"The one you were talking about. Who is she anyway?"

He felt his blood rush to his cheeks. "I—I don't think we should talk about this."

"I think we need to," Zane countered. "You keep doing that all the time, Aaron. There's no use hiding it forever."

"No! This doesn't concern you!" he exclaimed a little too loudly.

Zane said nothing.

Aaron opened his mouth to reply. Then he closed it. "Why aren't you saying something. . ?"

For a while, Aaron couldn't hear anything from him. Then he heard a chuckle. "It's Aphmau, isn't it?" Zane asked.

"No!" Aaron responded. "I don't like her. She's just a friend."

Then Aaron heard another gasp. It was high-pitched and it came from in front of him.

"Whaaaaaaaaaat?!" Kawaii~Chan exclaimed. "You don't like Aphmau?! Seriously?"

"Uh, yeah. . ." Aaron replied. "You're all acting as if I have to like her."

"No, because you did!" she screeched. "And you're supposed to get married!"

"It's true," a new voice cut in, weak and tired than the others. It came from the stairs on the second floor.

"Aphmau!" both of them exclaimed. Aaron's eyebrows creased.

"Do you need help?" Zane asked.

"She does, dummy!" Kawaii~Chan replied. "We need to help her!"

For a few minutes, they shuffled and scuffled around. Aaron saw Aphmau's blur being brought down by a line of brown spots. Stairs, he realized. Aphmau was moving downwards.

She stopped.

"You're finally awake!" Kawaii~Chan shouted, her voice shrill. "What took you so long?"

Aphmau yawned. "I was tired." She turned to Aaron. "And yeah. We. . .we were supposed to get married. And—and. . .all of this happened." She sighed. "I—" She choked on her words.

The room fell into silence.

"But it's fine!" she said, her voice sounding like she was reassuring herself too. "We—we—this is a new beginning. I can't dwell on the past anymore."

Then she sobbed. It was sad to hear.

Aaron couldn't find words to say. Was he supposed to comfort her? Or leave her be? He stiffened. His mind went blank.

It was silent again. He felt like he was being stared at. Was he supposed to do something?

He moved from his spot on the dining table to where Aphmau was. Her blurry spit became bigger and clearer. Aaron knelt in front of her and wrapped his arms around her. Her face rested on her shoulder.

"I—I'm sorry," he mumbled. "I'm sorry for not remembering."

He let her cry on his shoulder for a while. He felt her tears on his jacket. He felt her sadness and pain; he was angry at himself too.

Am I really worth it?