Chapter 59

Love, Danger, and Survival

(Siddharth)

I didn't hesitate to ring the doorbell, the urgency fueling my actions. With each resounding knock on the apartment door, I hoped to make my presence known, demanding to be let in. After a few tense seconds, the door swung open, revealing a man who appeared a little younger than me. His initial expression of annoyance quickly transformed into surprise as his eyes locked onto mine.

"You?" he exclaimed, his voice laced with disbelief. But I paid no heed to his surprise, ignoring his presence altogether. Determined and focused, I stepped past him and into the apartment, my sole purpose guiding my every move. "Hey..." he called out, his confusion trailing behind me.

As I entered the living area, a voice—soft and familiar—reached my ears. It was her voice, the one I had been yearning to hear for what felt like an eternity. "Priya, have you double-checked all the documents? Did you put the tickets in your handbag? We don't want any complications at the airport tomorrow. Oh, and don't forget to pack your jacket. I've heard Canada can get quite cold," the voice, belonging to an older woman, presumably Priya's aunt, spoke with concern.

"Yes, Auntie, I've checked everything," Priya responded in a gentle tone, her voice carrying a hint of reassurance. "I even downloaded the tickets on my phone, so no need to worry."

However, my attention was immediately drawn to the chaotic scene before me. A half-packed suitcase lay open on the floor, surrounded by a disarray of clothes and belongings scattered haphazardly. Amidst the disorganized mess, I noticed Priya, seated near the suitcase, clutching a bundle of clothes tightly in her hands.

Her face displayed a mixture of surprise and nervousness as she caught sight of me. Before she could utter a word, an older woman, presumably her aunt, stepped forward, wearing a frown of both curiosity and concern. "Who are you?" she questioned, her eyes narrowing as she looked at me. Yet, I paid her little attention, my focus firmly fixed on Priya, the girl who had ignited a storm of emotions within me.

With furrowed brows and a clenched jaw, I approached her, my steps deliberate and purposeful. Anger surged within me, threatening to overpower my senses. "So, this is your plan, isn't it?" I remarked with a bitter scoff, my voice tinged with frustration. "Running away again, and this time, planning to leave the country. Quite impressive, I must say." The words dripped with sarcasm, underscoring the gravity of the situation. I couldn't fathom allowing her to slip away from me once more, not without a fight.

Priya's gaze shifted, her eyes avoiding direct contact with mine. Beads of sweat began to form on her forehead, a physical manifestation of the fear that gripped her. Without uttering a single word, she sought solace in silence, further fueling the flames of my anger. It burned fiercely within me, consuming my thoughts and propelling me towards a confrontation that was long overdue. Every fiber of my being trembled with an intense mix of frustration, hurt, and determination.

"Hey, who do you think you are?" the lady persisted, her voice laced with concern and defiance. However, I remained deaf to her words, my focus unwavering. Determinedly, I bent down and firmly grasped Priya's upper arm, causing her to gasp in surprise, letting the dresses slip from her hands. Ignoring the chaos around us, I swiftly pulled her out of the apartment.

"What the hell is going on? Who is this guy?" the lady shouted, attempting to obstruct our path. The man I had encountered earlier joined her, desperately trying to release Priya from my grip.

As the lady tugged at Priya, and the man attempted to loosen my hold on her, the room erupted into a cacophony of shouts and commotion. Fueled by a mix of pain, anger, and irritation, I finally relinquished my grip on Priya's arm. With a swift and forceful punch, I struck the man square in the face, sending him crashing to the floor, blood streaming from his injured nose.