Chapter 21

Unleashed Fury: A Clash of Aggression and Determination

(Niharika)

It had been one week since the traumatic incident with my ex-husband, and I had been absent from work without any notice. Yet, my father didn't bother to ask about it or check on me. The only person who genuinely cared was Kavya, my true friend who stood by my side. Despite my reassurances that I would be fine, she had returned to my apartment at night, knowing about my nightmares and accompanying me to counseling sessions. Kavya had even taken the initiative to inform the apartment security to prevent Karan from visiting me. Though she suggested involving the police, I knew the consequences it would have with my father. Regardless, I was grateful to have Kavya's support, even if my own family seemed indifferent.

As I prepared to return to work after a week, I locked my apartment door and glanced at the adjacent door momentarily before entering the elevator. Ved hadn't come to knock on my door since that incident in the park. I knew I had been harsh on him, using him as a target for my anger, even though it wasn't entirely his fault that Karan had entered my life. Deep down, I couldn't help but acknowledge Kavya's point that if Ved hadn't shown up, Karan might still be out of the picture, and my father wouldn't be demanding sacrifices from me. I couldn't let them manipulate my life any longer; it was time to take control and cease making any more sacrifices.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath before stepping out of the car and slowly entering the hotel. Adjusting my attire-a blue jeans, red shirt, and black blazer-I straightened my shirt and nodded in response to the receptionist's greeting. Upon reaching my office floor, lost in thought, I failed to notice the presence of people inside my office until it was too late.

"Aha. Finally, you're here. Do you know what time it is? What took you so long?" my father's voice echoed through the room. Looking up, I realized there were five individuals seated, two on the long sofa and Mr. Aryan and Karan facing each other on separate ones. They all turned their attention to me as my father mentioned my arrival. Dread surged within me as Karan's predatory gaze fell upon me, bringing back the fear from that night one week ago. I immediately averted my eyes, and anger began to bubble inside me.

"Why are all of you in my office?" I asked, my voice carrying a hint of aggression.

"Well, sit down, and then we can discuss," my father replied calmly.

Reluctantly, I walked towards the remaining empty chair and took my seat, refusing to look at Karan. An array of questions raced through my mind. What was my father planning now? How could he bring this monster into my office without consulting me? Did he not care about my well-being? Did he consider me nothing more than a pawn to be used and discarded? Determination to take back control burned within me.

"Now, Mr. Aryan, you had mentioned that you would sell me the shares if I paid you five times the market rate. I have found a buyer who can make this deal happen. Mr. Karan Kohli will buy the shares from you for now, and once our agreement is finalized, he can transfer them to me. So, if you don't mind, let's discuss the terms and conditions," my father explained, a gleam of excitement in his eyes.

My fists clenched, nails digging into my palms, as anger surged through me like a raging storm. How could he make decisions about my life without even considering my opinion? The injustice of it all ignited a fire within me, fueling my determination to fight back. I couldn't let this continue. I couldn't be treated as a mere object to be traded and discarded.

Before I could unleash my fury on my father, Ved's voice cut through the tense silence, dripping with mockery and disdain. "Oh yeah, the agreement where you offer your daughter a price. Are you even her father? Do you have any idea what this son of a bitch did to her last week?"