Chapter 74

Embracing Love and Forgiveness

Siddharth

I pushed the wheelchair towards the opened door, and the nurse followed us, closing the doors behind us.

I could see Aami fidgeting with her fingers in her lap. She was tense. Today was the day the police finally came to take her testimony.

Her therapy sessions were progressing well, but even though the panic attacks had reduced, the nightmares still haunted her. The doctor said it was a slow process, not easy to mend a traumatized mind.

Somehow, she seemed more comfortable around me now, as if her mind sensed that I meant no harm. She allowed me inside her room and spoke a few words to me, giving me a little peace of mind.

In the hospital, they arranged a conference hall for the questioning, as Aami was hesitant to be in a closed room with many men.

As we entered, her doctor waved at us from her chair and smiled at Aami, who weakly smiled back. I pushed the wheelchair closer to where the doctor was sitting.

The doctor gently held Aami's hand and gave it a little squeeze. "Everything will be all right. If you feel uncomfortable at any time, let us know, okay? We will stop." Aami nodded, keeping her gaze on her lap.

The doctor looked at me, nodding in acknowledgment, and I returned the gesture. I pulled out a chair, keeping a safe distance from Aami, so as not to make her uncomfortable.

After a few moments, the doors to the hall opened again, and Harsh entered with two men and three women. We exchanged greetings, and they took seats opposite us, setting up video cameras and other necessary equipment.

After twenty long minutes, everything was settled, and Harsh approached the chair opposite us, pulling it out with a screeching sound that made Aami flinch.

"So shall we start?" Harsh asked.

Aami went stiff, her fingers tightly fisting her hospital gown. Her lips trembled, and her breathing became labored.

I wanted to hug her and offer her comfort, but I felt helpless.

The doctor gave her an encouraging side hug, and after a little pep talk, Aami finally relaxed a bit. She took a deep breath, nodding to Harsh, and thus began the questioning.

The hours dragged on, with Aami experiencing many breakdowns and heart-wrenching cries. Finally, the grueling interrogation came to an end.

"Thank you for your cooperation, Ms. Priyadarshini. There is one last question we have for you. The person you mentioned who killed your parents, is this the same person?" Harsh asked, pushing a photo towards her.

Aami's demeanor immediately changed when she saw the photo. She took a sharp intake of breath, her fingers fidgeting the gown tightly. Her eyes bulged out, and her lips quivered. She started shivering.

"Shit, she's going into another panic attack!" the doctor shouted, attempting to take Aami into her arms. But Aami pushed her away and stood up from the wheelchair, her eyes fixed on the picture of that bastard.

Her breaths became increasingly labored.

"Aami, it's okay, he's not here. Breathe. Take a deep breath, Aami. There's nothing to worry about. You're safe," the doctor tried to console her, but it seemed like her words were falling on deaf ears.

Everyone in the room was stunned, and Harsh wore a guilty expression. I stood there, looking at her, not knowing what to do.

The doctor cautiously approached her. "Priya," she said, placing a hand on her shoulder gently.