Chapter 26

Echoes of Regret

(Kavya)

I was engrossed in my favorite TV show, enjoying a momentary respite from the bustling chaos of the day at the boutique. As I savored a bowl of mango-flavored yogurt, the doorbell rudely interrupted my moment of tranquility. Irritated, I placed the yogurt on the side table and went to answer the door, never expecting the sight that awaited me.

Niharika stood before me, drenched from head to toe, her eyes swollen and vacant, her pale face resembling that of a ghost. Instantly, concern and fear gripped me. "Hari, what happened to you?" I asked anxiously, desperately seeking answers. She remained silent, her gaze fixed on some unseen horizon. Urging her inside, I closed the door behind us and led her to the living area, desperate to understand the source of her distress.

Anxiety crept into my voice as I inquired, "What happened? Did that scumbag do something to you?" My mind raced with worry, suspecting that Karan Kohli, the man who had caused her so much pain, was somehow involved. In that moment, Niharika turned her tear-filled eyes towards me and, without a word, tightly embraced me. I was taken aback, momentarily stunned, but I instinctively wrapped my arms around her, offering solace in the midst of her anguish.

Softly, I encouraged her, "Tell me, Hari. What happened?" But no words came forth from her lips; instead, her weight increased in my arms. "Hari, Niharika?" I called out, gently detaching her from our embrace. To my horror, she had lost consciousness. I struggled to support her weight, carefully laying her on the floor. Fear surged within me as questions swirled in my mind. What had befallen her? Why was she in such a state?

Just as panic threatened to overwhelm me, a frantic banging on the door startled me from my thoughts. Hastening to answer, I opened the door to find a disheveled Vedant standing before me. His eyes betrayed a wild desperation. "Where is she? Where is Niharika?" he yelled, his voice laced with anguish. Trembling, I responded, "I don't know what happened. She showed up here moments ago, soaked to the bone. Now she won't wake up." My own voice quivered with fear.

Without a moment's hesitation, Vedant rushed into the room, his eyes locked on Niharika's motionless form on the floor. He knelt beside her, cradling her head in his hands, his voice filled with desperation as he called out her name. "Niharika. Niharika," he pleaded. "She is cold. She is freezing. We have to take her to the hospital." With tender care, he lifted her into his arms and sprinted outside, urgently pressing the elevator button.

I followed them, locking the room behind me, my eyes fixed on Vedant. Tears glistened in his eyes, his gaze never leaving Niharika. The panic and worry etched on his face spoke volumes. I could sense the depths of his concern, the genuine love and affection he held for her. Every nerve within me felt the gravity of the situation as we raced to the hospital, his driving reflecting the urgency of the moment.

As the car screeched to a sudden stop in front of the hospital, my pent-up breath escaped in a rush of relief. The weight of the situation had been suffocating, and the sound of screeching tires mirrored the tumultuous emotions within me. Without wasting a moment, Vedant flung open the back door, cradling Niharika gently in his arms. Urgency consumed him as he sprinted towards the entrance, his voice raised in a desperate plea for help.

His frantic calls echoed through the hospital corridors, catching the attention of the medical staff. Responding swiftly to the urgency in his voice, doctors and nurses emerged from various directions, their training kicking into high gear. Recognizing the severity of the situation, they quickly fetched a stretcher, readying themselves to provide immediate medical attention.