Chapter 75

Love, Forgiveness, and Healing

Niharika

My heart was in my throat, beating like a drum, as I watched the tense scene unfold. His fingers were fisting and gripping the sheets, his eyes filled with hatred as they bore into her. He seemed to be trying to control himself, but the anger was palpable.

She took trembling steps towards him, fear evident in her features as she called his name in a low voice. He shut his eyes tightly, trying to rein in his emotions. The sheets crumpled in his fists, and then he suddenly opened his eyes, directing his furious gaze towards me. If looks could burn, I would be reduced to ashes. I couldn't deny that I was afraid of his anger.

I averted my eyes from his accusing glare, feeling a weight of tension in the room.

A moment of silence passed before his mother spoke again, her voice weak and filled with emotion. "Ved, please listen to me for once."

Without a word, Ved threw away the sheet covering him and grabbed his walking stick. With one last piercing look at me, he stormed out of the room, leaving me behind.

I sighed, closing my eyes for a brief moment. When I opened them, I saw his mother standing there, her gaze fixed on the door he had disappeared through, tears streaming down her face.

"I am sorry. I am so sorry," she said, her voice filled with regret, as she covered her face with her palms.

I approached her gently, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. She looked at me with guilt in her eyes.

"Please stay here. I will go and bring him back. I promise," I assured her, and she nodded gratefully.

Hurrying after Ved, I found Sid standing in the corridor, looking bewildered and lost. I gave him a reassuring smile before continuing my pursuit of Ved.

I walked briskly, taking the right turn where he had disappeared. After a bit of searching, I finally spotted him standing near an empty corridor, his back facing me as he looked out at the city night. The cool breeze gently tousled my hair as I approached him.

For a few moments, I stood behind him, unsure of how to begin the conversation. Just as I opened my mouth to speak, his hoarse yet deep voice cut through the silence.

"Are you here to tell me how much of a failure I am? Or are you here to show me how much of a jerk I am for not changing for you?" he said, turning around to face me.

My heart clenched at the sight of his red eyes, filled with pain and agony. Guilt washed over me for putting him through this.

"I am not here to accuse you," I responded in a soft voice, unable to meet his gaze.

"Oh really? Then what were you thinking when you brought that woman here? You know what she did and how much I hate seeing her," he continued, his voice a mix of frustration and hurt.

I knew I needed to make him understand my intentions, to let him see the bigger picture before he jumped to conclusions.

"This! The hate that you've been carrying inside you. I want you to let it go, Ved. That's why I brought her here. Do you think she doesn't care for you? If she didn't, she wouldn't have been here since the day you were admitted," I retorted, my emotions starting to rise.

He looked taken aback by my response, his eyes searching my face for any sign of deception.

"What? You don't believe it? She was here all along, hiding in the shadows and praying for her son to recover. I've seen her looking through the glass door of the ICU when she thought nobody was watching. With folded hands and tears in her eyes, she's been pleading for her son's recovery, even though you pushed her away. Yes, she made mistakes in the past, but she deeply regrets them. Do you think it was easy for her to bear the hate of her own son all these years? She was hurting too, Ved," I said, holding his gaze firmly.