Chapter 30

A New Journey Unfolds: Embracing Destiny with Vedant Aryan

(Niharika)

I was finally discharged from the hospital, but Vedant insisted on driving us home instead of allowing us to take a taxi. His stubbornness was unmatched, and there was no point in arguing with that arrogant jerk. Reluctantly, I agreed to let him take us to my apartment. Vedant dropped me off and then accompanied Kavya to her boutique. She had received a call on the way, informing her that a regular customer had arrived to collect her pre-ordered designer wear. Kavya felt guilty about leaving me alone, but I reassured her that I would be fine. Her boutique was conveniently located nearby, and she promised to return home within an hour.

As the car came to a stop in front of our apartment building, I stepped out, feeling a mix of emotions. Kavya looked apologetic, but I dismissed her concern with a tap on her hand. Vedant gave me a firm nod, to which I offered no response, instead making my way towards the entrance. Along the path, I encountered one of my neighbors and engaged in a brief chit-chat.

After reaching my apartment door, I rummaged through my bag for the key and retrieved it. Slowly, I turned the key in the lock and pushed the door open. Stepping inside, a sense of unease washed over me, a feeling that something was amiss. Tentatively, I took a few steps forward, scanning the living area. It appeared to be empty. I proceeded to check both bedrooms, finding them vacant as well. A sigh of relief escaped my lips. Returning to the living room, I approached the dining table and retrieved a glass. I poured myself some water from the jug and drank it in one gulp, feeling the cool liquid soothe my parched throat. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath, attempting to calm the lingering apprehension within me.

"Is that enough? Do you like something cold to drink?" I heard that same menacing voice, and my breath caught in my throat. The glass slipped from my trembling hands, crashing into a million pieces on the floor. I turned around, my heart pounding in my chest, and locked eyes with those piercing green orbs filled with fury. My lips quivered involuntarily as a wave of helplessness washed over me. "How did you get inside?" I managed to ask, my voice barely a whisper.

He scoffed dismissively in response to my question, his figure casually leaning against the kitchen doorframe. He observed me with a cold gaze while taking a sip from his can of beer. Initially, confusion clouded my mind, but then the truth struck me like a bolt of lightning. No, it couldn't be. He wouldn't stoop so low, would he? "Father?!" I exclaimed, my disbelief evident in my tone.

The evil smirk on his face widened, relishing in the impact his revelation had on me. "You guessed correctly," he taunted, his words dripping with a mocking appreciation. A surge of anguish flooded through me, causing my eyes to sting with unshed tears. "How could he do this to me?" I whispered, the pain and betrayal resonating in my voice.

His tone turned sinister as he replied, savoring the opportunity to inflict further torment. "Because he is not your father. Did you really believe he would let you go so easily? No, he wouldn't, just like me," he uttered, his words laced with malevolence, revealing the extent of their shared darkness.

I looked at him in shock, attempting to assert my independence. "You can't do anything now. I'm married. I belong to someone else. So you better stay away from me," I mustered the courage to warn him. However, my brave words seemed to only further fuel his fury. He clenched the beer can in his hands, crushing it with a deafening force, before hurling it away. His movements were swift and aggressive as he advanced towards me, resembling a predator closing in on its prey. In my attempt to retreat, I took a step back, only to find my back colliding with the edge of the table. He cornered me, his hands planted firmly on either side of the table, creating an impenetrable barrier that confined me.