Chapter 67

Whispers of the Heart

Niharika

Gazing at my reflection in the mirror, I couldn't help but notice the dark circles under my eyes. It was evident that I had been through a lot lately. With a deep breath, I leaned over the ceramic sink and splashed water on my tear-stained face, hoping it would bring some relief.

I couldn't fathom how he managed to find me despite my best efforts to stay hidden. Vedant Aryan, a man of great influence, seemed capable of achieving anything he set his mind to.

As I dried my face with a towel, I couldn't escape the memories and heartbreak he had caused. For the past two months, I tried to move on, to escape the pain, but it was easier said than done.

Comparing him to my past relationship with Karan, it was clear that Vedant affected me in a much deeper way. With Karan, there was nothing sweet about our memories, and it was simple to harbor hatred towards him. But Vedant was different. He showed me moments of absolute bliss, only to cast me into despair soon after.

The heartbreak he inflicted felt so intense, leaving me shattered and struggling to pick up the pieces. I wanted to hate him for the pain he caused, but my heart was torn. Vedant had found a way to silently creep into my heart, and now, thoughts of him brought tears to my eyes.

Each night, I found myself crying, drenching my pillows with tears. I resented him for making me fall for him, for entangling my emotions in such a complex web.

Although I signed the divorce agreement, there had been no progress on his end. A part of me clung to the hope that he might return or seek reconciliation, even though I knew it was unlikely and maybe even unwise.

My heart was torn between wanting to move on and longing for him. I yearned for the comfort of his strong arms, to feel safe and loved. But I knew that I needed to find a way to heal and move forward.

It was a difficult journey, but I held onto the belief that one day, the wounds would begin to heal. I hoped to find happiness again, free from the pain he had caused, and learn to love without being burdened by the memories of him.

However, my anger towards him was overwhelming. I felt hurt that he didn't trust me, choosing to believe a mere photograph over our bond. Deep down, a voice whispered that what happened may not have been intentional, especially from Vedant's side. I witnessed his shock and regret in his eyes, hoping it was merely a drunken mistake. But try as I might, I couldn't erase the image of him with Arohi from my mind. Seeing them together broke something inside me, knowing they had loved each other in the past, and fearing it might rekindle their old feelings.

Our relationship was still blossoming, and I couldn't escape the realization that my feelings for him were much stronger than his for me. He never declared his love, and that only fueled my anger and sadness.

Yet, beneath my anger, I was also scared. Scared of being hurt again, scared of being a second choice, and scared of being taken for granted.

I resented myself for being unable to hate him, for allowing him to make me feel so vulnerable. I tried to reassure myself that if I ever saw him again, I would stand up for myself and show him what he had lost. I promised I would never forget how he questioned my character and shattered my trust.

However, my plans crumbled when I encountered him at the hotel. The sadness in his black eyes, once filled with longing for me, rendered me powerless. He looked tired and burdened, with dark circles under his eyes, and his unkempt appearance suggested he was in pain.