Chapter 27

Journey of Bickering and Care

(Niharika)

I struggled to open my heavy eyelids, feeling the weight in my head and the throbbing pain throughout my body. Slowly, I managed to pry my eyes open, only to find myself lying in an unfamiliar hospital room, with a stark white ceiling above me. Confusion and fragments of memories flooded my mind, causing me to gasp in realization.

"Are you awake?" a husky voice inquired, pulling me from my thoughts. I turned my head to the right, and there stood Vedant, looking worn out and sleep-deprived. Dark circles marred his eyes, and his disheveled appearance startled me. I noticed Kavya, asleep on a chair nearby, her head resting on the side table. Despite my numb body, I tried to sit up, but Vedant hurriedly came to my side, supporting me into a sitting position. Annoyed, I brushed off his assistance and muttered, "I can manage on my own."

His voice softened as he responded, "No one said you couldn't. I was just concerned." I scoffed at his reply, unable to mask the bitterness in my tone. "Oh, yes, your concern is overwhelming," I retorted sarcastically. He seemed poised to respond, but my attention shifted to Kavya. "She must be exhausted. She didn't get a wink of sleep last night," Vedant interjected.

I sighed and glanced up at him. "Why are you still here?" I asked, my voice tinged with a mix of weariness and resentment.

"Do you think I would leave my wife alone in a hospital like this?" he countered, his voice laced with a mix of determination and emotion. As I looked into his eyes, I struggled to decipher the exact sentiment that flickered within them. Was it regret for the pain I was experiencing, concern for my well-being, or guilt for the secrets he had kept? At that point, the specific emotion didn't matter to me anymore. Trust had shattered within me, and I could feel the fragments cutting through my heart. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I fought to hold them back, unwilling to show further vulnerability.

"Don't call me that. I mean nothing to you. This was all a trap you set for me, swapping the documents. You married me to gain control of the shares. You're no different from them. You used me for your own benefit, and when I'm no longer needed, you'll discard me. You're just like my father," I uttered, my voice trembling with a mix of anger, hurt, and the crushing weight of betrayal. The words hung heavily in the air, echoing the pain that coursed through my veins.

"Father? I have no right to call him that," I continued, my breath becoming heavier with each passing moment. Vedant attempted to soothe me, his voice soft and filled with genuine concern. "Niharika, calm down. Right now, you don't need to think about all that. Your priority should be to rest and focus on recovering. Just lie back down, and the doctor will be here soon," he gently implored, his eyes pleading for me to find solace in his words.

I stared at him, our gazes locked in an intense exchange. His sympathetic eyes mirrored my pain and confusion, silently acknowledging the depth of my turmoil. "You knew," I stated, my voice quivering with disbelief. Vedant appeared taken aback by the directness of my accusation, his initial shock evident on his face. Yet, he remained silent, averting his gaze as if grappling with the weight of his own secrets.

"I was the only one kept in the dark, wasn't I?" I scoffed bitterly, my anger resurfacing in waves. "How long have you known? TELL ME, DAMN IT!" I demanded, my desperation for answers surging through my voice, my heart pounding with a mixture of anxiety and longing for the truth.

For a brief moment, Vedant seemed lost in his own internal struggle, his eyes revealing a mixture of regret and hesitation. He closed his eyes, as if attempting to gather his thoughts, before finally giving in to the weight of his confession. "It's... It's been a while," he confessed, his voice heavy with the burden of his hidden knowledge. He turned his head away, unable to meet my gaze, as if ashamed of the truth he had kept from me.