Chapter 31

Sparks and Spats

(Siddharth)

I was sitting in my office, waiting for the file I had asked Priya to bring. It had been two days since our last encounter, and she had been avoiding me ever since. She communicated with me only through the receptionist, and during meetings, she kept the conversation strictly professional, not even bothering to make eye contact. I knew I had gone too far with my behavior that day, but her continued indifference was starting to get on my nerves. I would even welcome her anger or a scolding if it meant she would acknowledge my presence. I just wanted to hear her voice.

Impatience consumed me as I impatiently tapped my foot on the floor. Why was it taking so long to retrieve a simple file? Unable to wait any longer, I decided to go and check on her myself. Just as I was about to stand up from my seat, the door opened, and a wave of relief washed over me. But my smile quickly faded as I saw the receptionist holding the file once again. She approached my desk and placed the file in front of me. "Sir, Priya asked me to give you this file," she said.

That was it. I pushed my chair back forcefully and stood up, startling the receptionist. Determined, I stormed out of my office and headed straight towards Priya's office. With a forceful swing, I pushed open the door, catching Priya off guard as she took a sip of water. She choked and coughed, annoyance evident in her eyes as she looked at me.

Feeling a sense of regret, I face-palmed myself and quickly reached for tissues. I handed them to her, and she gratefully used them to clean up the water that had spilled on her dress and face. As I watched her, memories of our closeness resurfaced—the softness of her lips under my touch, the lingering scent of sandalwood and lavender. I shook my head vigorously, trying to banish those thoughts from my mind.

"I... I'm sorry," I apologized. "Yeah, you should be," she replied coldly, still not meeting my gaze. She crumpled the tissue and tossed it into the bin. Turning her attention back to her desktop PC, she began typing, completely ignoring my presence. "I'm sorry for that day. I know I went too far," I confessed, guilt etched on my face. I kept my eyes fixed on her, hoping for a response.

Silence filled the room, and she stubbornly refused to meet my gaze. Frustrated, I swiveled her chair so that she was facing me. She gasped in surprise and looked at me, her face filled with curiosity. Seeing her expression warmed my heart, and I knelt before her, placing my hands on the chair handles. "I'm sorry. It was a mistake, and I didn't mean it. I don't know what else to say to make you forgive me. Please, stop avoiding me like this. It only makes me feel more guilty," I pleaded.

She held my gaze for a few seconds before a small smile tugged at the corners of her lips. "Fine. I forgive you, but only because you look so pathetic right now. The great Siddharth Aryan kneeling before his PA. Ouch, that's pretty bad," she teased, her smile growing wider. This woman had guts, and I couldn't help but narrow my eyes at her playful jab. "Teasing your boss? Happy now? Huh! Well, now that everything is settled, I expect you to complete the project report by this evening. Tomorrow, we have to visit the resort in Lonavla," I retorted, a smirk forming on my face.

"What? Complete it by today? It will take more time," she whined, wearing a crestfallen expression.

"That's your problem. I want the file on my desk by tomorrow morning," I asserted, just as my phone rang.

I answered the call, slightly annoyed at the interruption. "Josh, I'm in the middle of something. Can it wait?" I said curtly.

Josh's voice came through the phone, tinged with urgency. "Sorry, Sid, but it's important. Sakshi just arrived at the office. She's insisting that you promised to take her shopping today."