Chapter 71

Love-struck in the Elevator

Vedant

Her grip on me tightened, and her concerned eyes scanned every inch of my being, making sure I was alright. I couldn't tear my gaze away from her beautiful face. Her eyes spoke of weariness and worry.

"Are you alright?" she asked anxiously. I was speechless, lost in the moment. My elation knew no bounds.

Her gaze lingered on my face but then shyly averted. I knew I must be grinning like a fool, but I had no desire to stop it.

With her hands on my waist, she bent down to pick up the fallen cane. Handing it back to me, she made sure I held it properly before slowly stepping away, creating some distance between us.

In that instant, I missed her touch, longing to pull her into my embrace and never let go. But I was paralyzed with happiness, unable to think or act rationally. My eyes remained fixed on her, scared that she might vanish if I so much as blinked. I hoped this wasn't a dream, that she was truly standing here before me.

"Ved, the lift has arrived. Shall we go?" she asked, and I simply nodded.

She led the way, and I followed, both of us standing at opposite corners of the lift. Avoiding eye contact, she rubbed her palm nervously, and I couldn't help myself from openly admiring her. It was as if I couldn't look away; she was captivating, a treasure that I wanted to guard fiercely.

The elevator's ding snapped me back to reality. As the doors opened, we stepped out into the corridor, side by side, the air heavy with awkwardness. It was ironic that in her absence, I yearned to share a thousand things with her, yet in her presence, I found myself tongue-tied.

As we walked side by side down the corridor, the silence between us seemed to echo with unspoken words and emotions. It felt like an eternity since we last saw each other, and now that she was here, standing right beside me, I couldn't find the right words to express what I truly felt.

Her presence alone was enough to make my heart race, and I tried my best to keep my composure. The heaviness of the moment was evident, and I was afraid that one wrong move or word would shatter the fragile peace that seemed to envelop us.

I stole glances at her from the corner of my eye, marveling at her beauty and grace. It was as if time had stood still, and everything else around us had faded into the background. All that mattered was her, and the overwhelming joy I felt at seeing her again.

As we reached the door to my room, she gestured for me to enter, and I obliged. She followed me inside, and the room suddenly felt too small to contain the emotions swirling between us.

Her eyes darted around the room, avoiding direct eye contact, and I could sense her unease. I wanted to reach out and assure her that everything was alright, that she had nothing to worry about, but the words seemed to escape me.

The awkwardness between us was palpable, and I longed to break the silence, to fill the room with words of reassurance and love. Yet, I couldn't find the courage to speak. It was as if my heart had taken over, and my mind had become an observer of the whirlwind of emotions that engulfed me.

Finally, she cleared her throat, breaking the stillness. "I... I'm glad you're okay," she said softly, her voice tinged with vulnerability.

A rush of tenderness washed over me, and I mustered a small smile. "Thank you. I... I can't believe you're here," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper.