Chapter 33

Embracing Adventure: A Journey to Lonavla

(Siddharth)

I leaned back in the car seat and let out a relieved sigh. Finally, the shopping marathon was over, and the package had been safely delivered to her house. No need to brace myself for the impending tsunami of scolding from my mother. I glanced at the time on my phone. It was already a quarter past 8. God, I had spent nearly 6 hours accompanying Sakshi on her shopping spree, or rather, waiting in the cafeteria while she shopped. I couldn't fathom why girls spent so much time indulging in shopping. It was beyond my comprehension. I let out another sigh and shook my head in disbelief.

Starting the car, I drove towards Sakshi's house. She had kindly invited me to join her for dinner with her parents, but I was utterly exhausted and lacked the energy to endure any more social interactions. Politely declining her offer, I hoped to spare myself from any additional drama or the possibility of her calling my mother. All of this chaos was a result of Priya's scheming. If only she hadn't tricked me, I wouldn't have ended up in this state of exhaustion. I furrowed my brow, clearly displaying my frustration as I contemplated the series of events.

That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had asked her to complete the project report by today. It was a Herculean task, and deep down, I didn't really expect her to finish it on time. I remember her teasing me when I apologized for the tight deadline. But then, in the midst of everything, I completely forgot to call her and let her know that she could go home. Did she take it seriously? No, surely she must have left the office after the regular working hours, right? I connected my phone to the car's Bluetooth and dialed her number, but it went straight to voicemail. She must have already left, so I tried to reassure myself. However, an unsettling feeling crept over me, making it difficult to shake off the nagging doubts. I needed to be certain that she had indeed left the office. With a sigh, I made a U-turn and drove back towards our office building, Aryan's Enclave.

I parked the car in the reserved parking lot for higher officials and briskly walked towards the entrance. Just as I was about to reach the doors, they swung open, and to my surprise, Priya emerged, wearing a smile as she nodded at the security guard. I froze in my tracks, staring at her in disbelief. Had she stayed in the office all this time? That girl! I sighed, rubbing my temples, feeling a mix of frustration and concern washing over me. Without wasting a moment, I sprinted toward her, coming to a halt right in front of her. Priya gasped in surprise and instinctively took a step back, startled by my sudden appearance.

"What are you doing here this late?" I asked, my annoyance evident in my voice. She frowned at me in response. "You were the one who told me to finish the report, right? I was just doing my work. I completed it and left it on your table. You can check it tomorrow morning," she replied, avoiding direct eye contact. I let out a frustrated sigh, clenching my teeth. "Are you dense? Did I ask you to stay here until this hour? And why is your phone switched off?" I questioned, my irritation growing. "It was switched off. I only realized it after I finished my work," she explained. "Well, you should have called me and asked. Are you trying to paint me as a mean boss?" I retorted. Under her breath, she mumbled something that I unfortunately managed to catch. "As if you aren't," she muttered, her words stinging my ears. I let out another sigh.

"Fine, then. Come on, I'll drop you home. It's not safe to go alone at this hour," I said begrudgingly, my concern outweighing my annoyance. "No need. My friend is coming to pick me up. He'll be here soon. You can go," she replied, dismissing my offer.

I looked at her questioningly, my forehead creasing with confusion. "Friend?!! Which friend?" I asked, my tone laced with a hint of jealousy. She looked annoyed, releasing an exasperated sigh and crossing her arms across her chest. "How many of my friends do you actually know?" she fired back. The truth was, I didn't really know any of them. I sighed, looking away, about to say something when a motorbike pulled up in front of us. The rider was clad in black jeans and a black leather jacket. He lifted the visor of his helmet and waved at her. She smiled back and waved in return. Turning to face me, she said, "He's here now. I'll go with him. Goodnight, sir," she declared with a mischievous smile. As she confidently walked towards the biker, she effortlessly hopped on the back seat and firmly gripped his shoulder. My eyes widened, my forehead now resembling a rollercoaster ride. The biker glanced in my direction, a mischievous glint in his eyes. He said something to her, probably a secret code for their daring escapades. She shook her head, as if dismissing his audacious plan, and playfully tapped his shoulder. I stood there, dumbfounded, my eyes fixated on this unusual spectacle.