Chapter 78

Embracing the Journey of Love

Siddharth

The loud, incessant banging on the door ripped me from my restless slumber. My heart pounded, and I felt a lump forming in my throat. Irritated and disoriented, I threw the quilt off my body and rubbed my tired eyes, trying to adjust to the bright light flooding the room.

"Stop it, Josh! Damn it, I'm coming!" I shouted back, my voice tinged with frustration. I stumbled towards the door, my head throbbing with pain from last night's alcohol-fueled haze.

As I reached the door, I paused for a moment, pressing my temple with my hand to ease the throbbing ache in my head. The hangover was hitting me hard, but the physical pain was nothing compared to the agony tearing me apart from the inside. For days, I had been seeking refuge in Josh's flat, drowning my sorrow in a sea of alcohol. Each sip burned like fire, a futile attempt to numb the heartache that seemed to suffocate me.

Her absence left a void that felt insurmountable. She was my anchor, my reason for being, and now she was gone, leaving me adrift in a sea of darkness and despair.

She had told me she needed a new beginning, a fresh start, and as much as it pained me, I knew I couldn't be a part of it. It felt like my heart was being torn from my chest, but I had to respect her wishes, even if it felt like a knife to my soul.

In the midst of my sorrow, anger bubbled up inside me. How could she leave me like this? Didn't she know how much I loved her? I wanted to scream at her, to make her understand the pain she was causing, but the sight of her tear-stained face silenced me.

Her vulnerability shattered my resolve. The ache in her eyes told a story of inner turmoil and conflicted emotions. I could see that she didn't want to go, but she felt it was necessary. She was breaking just as much as I was, and that realization was almost too much to bear.

In that moment, it became clear to me that I was her everything, even though she had never uttered those words. She held my heart in her hands, and it felt like she was squeezing it mercilessly.

I wanted to hold her close, to beg her to stay, but I knew deep down that it wouldn't change anything. She had to find her own way, even if it meant leaving me behind.

With a heavy heart, I mustered the strength to gently remove her fingers from my collar, my back turned away from her. The pain was unbearable, but I couldn't let her see how broken I was.

Walking away from her was the hardest thing I'd ever done. Every step felt like a weight dragging me down. But I had to let her go, even if it felt like I was tearing myself apart in the process. I knew that healing would be a long and arduous journey—one that I had to face alone.

The door banged again, and my frustration grew. "Coming."

"What the hell do you want, Josh?" I yelled as I swung the door open, but my anger melted away as I saw Ved standing before me.

"Ved?!! What are you doing here?" I was taken aback by his unexpected presence.

He just gave me a disapproving stare and stepped inside, bumping his shoulder against mine. His eyes scanned the disarrayed room and landed on the beer and whiskey bottles near my bed.

I watched his jaw clench, and I closed my eyes, letting out a sigh. He turned towards me, his gaze narrowed.

"You know this is not a solution, right? A great example is standing right in front of you," he said, disappointment lacing his voice.

"You were the one who was advising me back then, and look at what you're doing now," he pointed towards the bottles.

"I know, and I'm sorry, but I can't help it."