Chapter 10

Unlikely Alliances: Navigating the Unexpected Journey

(Siddharth)

Well, it had been a while since my college days, and here I was, caught up in a ridiculous situation. I took a deep breath and opened the door, only to find four men in police uniforms staring at me suspiciously.

Relief washed over me. At least I wouldn't have to engage in a physical fight and risk breaking any bones. These four guys, who looked like they stepped straight out of a Bollywood film, regarded me as if I were a wanted criminal. The one who resembled Khader Khan took a step forward and pushed me aside, entering the room.

He scanned the surroundings and his eyes landed on a small figure standing in the corner, clutching a chair and hugging a backpack to her chest.

The inspector looked at her, then back at me, suspicion written all over his face. "So, what's going on here? A midnight entertainment, perhaps?" he jeered, making a face that was both mocking and disgusting.

What?!! The mentality of these people! Anger surged within me, and I glanced at the girl. She wore an equally shocked expression.

"I think the tip was accurate, sir. Should we arrest them for immoral trafficking?" one of the constables chimed in, addressing the inspector.

That was it. They had crossed the line. "Excuse me! This is not what you think, okay? We found ourselves in an unusual situation. There is nothing illegal happening here, okay?" I snapped, irritation lacing my voice.

"Oh really? Fine, then. We'll take both of you to the hospital for a check-up, and then off to the police station, where we can meet the reporters. How does that sound?" the inspector replied, his lips twisting into a weird smile.

"Fine, do as you wish. I don't mind," I responded, matching his mocking tone.

Tears welled up in her eyes, and my stomach twisted in knots. I felt sorry for her. Just as one nightmare ended, another began. I knew I could handle the humiliation and teach the officer a lesson later, but I didn't want her to endure any more of it.

Lost in thought, I remained silent, contemplating what to do next. The inspector glanced at her, then approached her cautiously. She took a step back, apprehensive.

But to my surprise, the inspector's face softened. "Is he forcing you to do something you don't want to do? Are you here against your will? Is someone threatening you?" he asked, his tone calm and sympathetic.

She shook her head, indicating a 'no.' The inspector let out a sigh. "So you're here with him willingly," he reiterated. This time, she nodded, confirming his statement. Relief washed over me. If she had wanted to, she could have framed me and escaped the situation, but she didn't. It made me feel strangely content.

"Then why are you two in this motel? Don't you know it's infamous for illegal activities?" the inspector inquired.

She was on the verge of breaking down. What could I say to convince the officer to leave us alone? He didn't seem like a money-hungry man.

"Give me your ID, both of you," he requested, gesturing for us to hand over our identification. I reached for my wallet, about to retrieve my ID, when she spoke up. "I don't have any. I left in a hurry and didn't have time to grab my purse," she weakly explained. "Fine. Give me your family's details and phone number," the inspector continued.

She stared at her feet. "I don't have any. I'm an orphan," she replied, without lifting her gaze. I was taken aback. She was an orphan? My heart ached for her. The inspector let out a disbelieving sigh.

"Look, I'm trying to help, okay? But don't try to be too clever. It might be better to take both of you to the police station," he said, growing increasingly irritated.

She looked at me, her eyes pleading for help. I racked my brain, searching for an excuse that could get us out of this situation. "Wait a second, sir. We can't go to the police station," I interjected.

"And why is that?" the inspector asked, his curiosity piqued.

"Um, because... we eloped. You see, she's an orphan, and my family is very orthodox. They didn't approve of our relationship, so they threatened me and arranged a marriage with some wealthy girl. But I love her so much that I couldn't let that happen. So yeah, we eloped," I spun a tale with all my acting skills, trying to make it sound as natural as possible.

I glanced at the people around me. The policemen wore amused expressions, while the girl stared at me with a mixture of shock and confusion. I signaled to her to play along. She closed her mouth, which had been hanging open, and gave me a strange look.

The inspector turned to her, his gaze intense. "Is this true?" he asked. She looked at me, and I pleaded with my eyes. If this act were exposed, we would undoubtedly end up at the police station. The inspector seemed to believe at least part of the story and sought confirmation from her.

"Um, yes," she replied softly, her head hung low.

"My family holds considerable power, so they're trying to track us down. Everything happened in a hurry, and we weren't prepared enough," I continued, doing my best to make him believe the drama I had concocted.

He observed both of us thoughtfully. He walked out of the room, signaling for the constables to follow. I released the breath I hadn't realized I was holding and allowed a small smile of victory to grace my face. Mentally, I gave myself a thumbs up. Just as I was about to close the door, the inspector reappeared in front of me, stepping back into the room. He looked at our faces with a serious expression.

"You both are coming with me," he declared. The victory dance in my head came to an abrupt halt.

No, I'm terrible at acting. Sid, you really suck at acting. I scolded myself, disappointment etched on my face.

I thought I could protect her from this mess, but no, I only made it messier.

Her saddened expression intensified my frustration. She mustered a sad smile, and with a sigh of defeat, we both walked out of the room with the inspector.

As we walked alongside the inspector, uncertainty filled the air. Our impromptu act had bought us some time, but we couldn't escape the reality of the situation. However, amidst the chaos, a strange bond had formed between us-a shared understanding and a silent promise to navigate through this together. Whether it was fate or mere coincidence that brought us together in that motel room, one thing was certain: we were now entangled in an unpredictable journey, and only time would reveal what lay ahead for us. With determination in our hearts, we braced ourselves for the unknown, ready to face whatever challenges awaited us, hand in hand.

******************