Chapter 46

Intimate Whispers

(Niharika)

We walked back to the beach house in silence, both lost in our thoughts. The weight of unspoken words hung in the air as we entered through the back door. Inside the kitchen, we stood facing each other, a mix of emotions evident in Ved's eyes as he avoided direct eye contact. Sensing his unease, I mustered a gentle smile.

"Hmm, so... What's for dinner? Shall we order some food?" I suggested, hoping to ease the tension. Ved raised an eyebrow and looked up at me.

"What? No. Actually, I thought maybe you'd like to cook something for us," he replied, his words tinged with a hint of hesitation.

"You want me to cook?" I asked, narrowing my eyes slightly, trying to gauge his intentions.

"Yes, I've missed your cooking," he admitted, his gaze meeting mine briefly. The memories of the day he abruptly left without explanation flooded my mind, causing me to swallow hard and avert my gaze.

Ved stepped closer, his hand gently lifting my chin to make me meet his eyes. There was a mix of regret and longing in his expression as he spoke.

"I'm sorry about that day, Niha. I shouldn't have left without an explanation. It was just... I was overwhelmed, and I didn't know how to handle it. But I want you to know that I don't regret what happened between us. It was a beautiful moment, and I cherish it. I was just afraid of what it meant, afraid of hurting you. I'm truly sorry," he confessed, his voice filled with sincerity. I could see the truth in his eyes, and my heart softened.

"It's okay, Ved. I understand," I reassured him, my voice filled with empathy. Memories of that day resurfaced, his shocked and regretful expression flashing before me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and turned my face away from him.

In an instant, Ved's hands cupped my face, gently turning it back to meet his gaze.

"No, Niha, it's not okay. I want you to know that I don't regret what happened between us. I couldn't bear the thought of taking advantage of you, especially after I had told you I wasn't looking for a relationship. But being away from you was even harder. You have no idea the effect you have on me. That's why I left abruptly that day. I'm sorry, truly sorry," he poured his heart out, his forehead resting against mine. I looked into his eyes, seeing the truth and vulnerability in them. Instinctively, I held his wrists with both hands, offering my understanding.

"I believe you," I whispered, a warm smile spreading across my face. Ved sighed in relief, his tense expression relaxing.

"Thank you," he breathed out, his lips pressing a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"I was trying to protect you from my own confusion and fears. But now, I realize it's impossible to stay away from you," he admitted, his gaze intense as it met mine. The electricity between us was palpable, and I found myself drawn to his lips.

Ved's thumb gently brushed against my lower lip, causing my breath to catch in my throat. Our eyes remained locked, both of us aware of the growing desire. As if breaking free from a trance, I cleared my throat and took a step back, a blush coloring my cheeks. Ved also composed himself, the intensity lingering in the air.

"So, what do you want for dinner?" I asked, deliberately diverting the conversation from the magnetic pull between us.

"Anything you make would be perfect. I've missed your food," Ved replied, his eyes still filled with longing.

"Well, you better be prepared for my not-so-excellent cooking skills. No need for sugar-coated words," I retorted, narrowing my eyes playfully and turning away from him.