Chapter 44

Whispered Desires: Love's Unforeseen Invitation

(Niharika)

I groaned and reluctantly opened my eyes as the sunlight hit my face. Slowly stretching my arms, I felt a slight prickling sensation on my shoulders, indicating that the discomfort from the previous day had subsided. Looking around, I realized I was alone in the room. I couldn't remember when Vedant had left; exhaustion had taken over, lulling me into a deep slumber.

With a yawn, I made my way to the bathroom to freshen up. After taking care of my morning routine, I chose a pair of black slacks and an off-white blouse, carefully selecting an outfit for the day. Descending the stairs, I headed towards the kitchen, curious about the breakfast Nirmala had prepared.

As I entered the kitchen, my gaze fell upon Arohi, who was busily cooking something. My brows furrowed slightly, and I cleared my throat to get her attention. Arohi turned around and greeted me with a warm smile, which I reciprocated.

"Good morning, Niharika. Slept well?" Arohi asked, her voice filled with genuine concern.

"Morning, Arohi. Yes, I did. Thank you," I replied, attempting to stifle my curiosity. However, the questions swirling in my mind got the better of me.

"By the way, where is Nirmala?" I inquired, my curiosity piqued. Arohi's brows furrowed momentarily as she tried to recall.

"Oh, you mean the maid?" she responded, raising her eyebrows. I nodded, indicating my query.

"She went to clean the patio. I offered to cook today's breakfast," Arohi explained, her smile indicating her eagerness to help.

Annoyance flickered within me as I realized Arohi's sudden interest in cooking. Nevertheless, I forced a smile, masking my irritation.

"So, what's on the menu for today?" I asked, stepping closer to observe her culinary endeavors.

"Pancakes. Ved loves pancakes. He always wanted me to make pancakes when we were together," Arohi replied cheerfully, her words dripping with nostalgia. However, her expression turned solemn as she realized what she had just revealed. I averted my gaze, feeling a pang of discomfort.

"I... I'm sorry. It slipped out," Arohi muttered awkwardly, realizing her unintended slip of the tongue. I nodded in understanding and redirected my attention to the refrigerator. Retrieving some oranges, I peeled and blended them to make fresh juice.

Taking two glasses, I poured the juice into one and was about to pour the second when I heard Arohi's voice again.

"Hmm, Ved doesn't like orange juice," she remarked, her tone carrying a mix of awkwardness and hesitation. I glanced at her, the annoyance simmering within me threatening to surface.

"He always says they're too sour. I've already prepared his green juice. It's in the fridge," she added, pointing her thumb towards the refrigerator before tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

I clenched my teeth in frustration, setting the blender down on the countertop. "It seems like you both have a lot to learn about each other," Arohi commented, her smile tight-lipped yet perceptive.

Inwardly, I wanted to retort with anger, to lash out at her for her audacity. But I knew, deep down, that she was right. Vedant and I were practically strangers, lacking any substantial conversations as husband and wife. While Arohi seemed to have a better understanding of him due to their past relationship, I sighed and forced myself to maintain a fake smile.

"Yes, we certainly have a lot to catch up on. It's fine; I'll give it to Nirmala," I replied, masking my true feelings. "I'm sorry if it seemed like I took offense."