Dancing with the Devil

a/n: Hi! So sorry for the very long wait. Thank you so much for being patient with me, even though I'm sure many of you were secretly hoping I'd hurry up. (it's okay, I was too lol)

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Just a disclaimer: not my best work and there may be possible grammatical errors (if you see any, please let me know). Also... please don't kill me because of the cliffhanger at the end.

Without further ado, enjoy!

---

Riding home on my bike, I contemplated what I would wear. I know, you're probably wondering why I'm concerned about what to wear to a dance of all things. The reasons for my concern are as follows: 1.) it's a 50's themed dance, so I have to dress to part and 2.) Caroline would have a fit if I didn't. And I don't think anyone wants that, especially not me.

Before I knew it, I was outside my house. My aunt's car was in the driveway, so I assumed she was still there. Speaking of my aunt, I hadn't been able to snoop around yet, but believe me, whenever I got the time, I was going to find out what she's been keeping from me.

I made my way inside and was on my way to my room when my aunt's voice stopped me. "Y/N, is that you?"

With a small sigh, I hopped down from the third step on the stairs, "Yes. Do you need me? I have to get ready for the dance."

"Dance?' Her voice was closer now, "I didn't know you went to dances." Of course, you wouldn't, I thought, you hardly visit.

It was a good thing she couldn't read my thoughts; otherwise, I would be in for a lecture about how she's been busy and "how much she cares for me." Yeah, right, as if I actually believe that. Okay, now, don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that she doesn't. But if she did, she wouldn't just leave me here, alone in this house without my parents.

She rounded the corner and sent me one of her award-winning smiles. Yeah, as if that wasn't phony.

I sent a half-hearted grin, only to appease her, "Not usually, but yearbook calls." She then responded with an 'oh, you're on yearbook?'

"Not exactly, but I'm a pretty good photographer, so you could say that I am. Besides, Jeremy's on punch duty, and I can't leave him to fend for himself."

She laughed at that, "God knows what that boy would do if you weren't around. Speaking of Jeremy..." she wiggled her eyebrows, causing me to raise mine. "When are you two going to date?"

Way to shoot the gun..."We're just friends, and besides, he's not interested in me." Aunt Lidia shrugged, "Do you know how many people were "just friends" and ended up as more?"

"Well, I doubt that's going to happen. Anyway, I have to get ready." I started back up the stairs, taking two at a time.

"Hey, kiddo." I paused, more than halfway up, awaiting her response. "I think we should talk about some important things tomorrow."

I was glad that I wasn't facing her so that she couldn't see the surprised and slightly suspicious look on my face, "Really?"

I couldn't see her, but I knew she was nodding; I could hear it in the way she spoke, "Yeah. I think it'll ease some of your worries. Anyway, get going, kid. Although being fashionably late is always a good thing, you don't want to be too late."

---

By the time I arrived, the dance was in full swing. Pun not intended. Okay, maybe it was, just a little bit, though. Figuring I shouldn't waste any time, I situated myself in an area (with no sweaty bodies or teenagers dancing on each other, mind you) and made quick work of capturing the essence of high school themed dances. The sarcasm is very much there if you didn't notice.