2023 update

hi, hello everyone!

it has been such a long time since i updated this story, and i am hereby apologizing to both you guys and myself because we were both waiting on this story lol

i started this a couple days ago, but i'm finally posting it.

i originally had the idea for different back in 2019, right after i fully finished TVD. i didn't actually post anything until january of 2020, and at that point, i was posting continuous - i mean, multiple updates in the same month. that's great and amazing and what not. but then, i had this really rough period in my life - COVID and school and mental health issues - and the one thing i counted on (writing) just wasn't something i could bring myself to do.

so... there were a lot of times when i had the next chapter idea or plot line and just never wrote it or finished it because i simply couldn't.

i would also like to note that i started this when i was 14 and was very much influenced by the typical wattpad stories with the cringy MC ( i think we can all agree that those first couple chapters were definitely written with that mindset 😭) i don't know if you guys noticed or if it was just a me thing because i knew that my writing style had become my own, but in the later chapters, the MC is much more of an actual character rather than an idea

moving on to why i'm making this update. i just turned 18 - ugh, scary but i'm also not considering myself an adult until 20 because there's a teen in "eighteen" and "nineteen". pretty much all of 2022 was spent thinking about the plot and how i wanted this book to end. i figured that out - yayyy. but i was really struggling with writing new chapters.

that was extremely frustrating until i figured out the reason. i hate the early chapters 😭😭

i know, i know. why don't i just edit them? i can and i will because my writing style has greatly improved over the past three years but by editing, i will be changing almost everything about the older chapters. and while that IS something i want to do, it is a lot and i mean A LOT to take on.

although i love the show, hence why i wrote a fanfiction about it, there are a lot of things i dislike that i included in the book, simply because it was in the show.

for example:
the age differences
the ending
the time period (we live in 2023, the show is set in 2009)
     it's kind of hard to write according to that

there's also one big factor. the ending and plot lines i have in mind are NOTHING like the show.

and speaking of plot lines, i have so many plot holes at the beginning that it's ridiculous. like the bracelet she wears that magically has vervain in it or what really happened with her parents (even though the latest chapters do give some insight, it's still not good enough) (totally not a perfectionist, i'm retired now)

i've typed all of this to say: different will be making both a return and an end this year. i possibly have plans for an continuation, but if that ever comes, it will be started after i've finished this first book, complete with editing and minus the cringe, and also after i've outlined the plot. you guys don't know much easier i write now that i plan out the stories. reference to that is on my tumblr.

here are some changes that will be made:

edits:
if i reread a cringy scene or see one of you guys comment on them again, i will cry

the age difference + the creepy shit:
don't get me wrong, i have a crush on damon like the rest of you, but i think they were 16? 15? whatever age (under) when damon was with them and although this is fiction, i realized that was one of many influencing factors on me not writing as often. also there will be no SA or dubious consent (unless for some reason, bringing it up is integral to the plot - characters don't need trauma to be good characters but you guys know what i mean. none of the main characters will be engaging in such atrocious behavior, damon included). i understand that by changing all of these things that some people may think i'm changing the characters but it's my story and you don't have to read it

the time line:
this story won't have a definite time period but it will be written in current time minus the pandemic and all of the other worldly problems because in fiction, we say these things cease to exist :)

plot holes + plot line:
plot holes will be filled with cement. the plot line will be more according to the later chapters

i'm really sorry that you guys had to read all of this, but i wanted to check in. though this book has many flaws (such as the coughing fits the MC had in those early chapters, so embarrassing that i wrote that at one point), it really is close to my heart because it introduced me to writing, which i really, really love.

i mostly post my writing on tumblr now because it's super cool, and it's much easier to write one-shots. i write for various characters there like cody fern's characters (particulaly michael langdon), spencer reid, loki, eddie munson, lip gallagher, dean winchester ... the list goes on and will be expanding this year.

i hope this little update finds you all well, and i also hope that you guys are taking care of yourselves because self care is the best care. (if you guys know who dannyphantom.exe is, imagine i am him, forcing you guys to take care of yourselves lol)

love you all,

peace out until the spam of updated and new chapters hits your notification <3