Suspicions and Internalized Misogyny

How are you guys doing? Sorry for the late update :/
Enjoy this masterpiece (well... it's sort of trashy)

---

The light from outside was streaming through the open blinds of the window. I sighed, massaging my temples before concentrating again.

I had been practicing my magic since I woke up. For some reason, I couldn't do anything. I could barely even light a candle with the wave of my hand. It probably had something to do with the fact that Aunt Lidia and I got into a huge argument.

---

Flashback

I walked into the kitchen to grab some snacks. My aunt was there, on the phone, speaking quietly, "No, I haven't gotten far, but-"

She stopped talking when she saw me, "Listen, I've got to go. Look, we'll talk later."

I eyed her suspiciously as I grabbed some pop-tarts from the cabinet above the microwave. She looked over to me, leaning against the countertop, "Hey, kiddo."

"Who were you on the phone with?" I asked, opening the silver packet and taking out one of the pop-tarts. Aunt Lidia chuckled, "No one. Anyways, have you-"

"Why do you keep brushing me off?" I was sick of this. It's okay for her to have her secrets or personal things, but I don't have a good feeling about whatever she's hiding from me.

Aunt Lidia raised an eyebrow,"What do you mean?" I scoffed, shaking my head, "Seriously? You're going to pretend you don't know what I'm talking about?"

She turned to me, narrowing her eyes, a heavy breath escaping her mouth, "Look, kid." Her voice was stern, but that didn't phase me, "I don't have to tell you anything, and besides, nothing is going on."

I rolled my eyes, setting down my pop-tarts, "I just find it a little weird that after you come to town, unannounced might I add, you start sneaking around."

She laughed. She freaking laughed. "Listen, Y/N. I'm a grown adult, and you're just a child whose parents left them without a word. I don't have to tell you anything."

I just stared at her, the weight of her words slowly crashing on me. Aunt Lidia didn't even seem regretful for what she said. She only turned around and grabbed her bag.

"I've got stuff to do. Don't wait up," and with that, my ever so lovely aunt walked out of the door.

---

I couldn't believe she had said that to me. It'd be different if she weren't my aunt or someone I'm close to, but she is. I think that hurt way more because she knows how I feel about them not being around.

I let that emotion I had pent up earlier be the fuel to my magic. The words 'just a child whose parents let them without a word' rang through my head, and I could feel the power surging inside of me.

Closing my eyes, I placed my hands back over the three candles sitting in front of me. Deep breath. Inscendia.

Heat blossomed below my hands, and I opened my eyes to see all three candles with orange and red fiery little dancers. I raised my hands, and the flames grew taller.

A smile crossed my face, and I was about to practice more magic when a sound came from near my door. Looking up, I saw Jeremy standing in my doorway, a shocked expression on his face.

I quickly stood up, clearing my throat, "Um, hey, Jer. What are you doing here?"

He tilted his head at me, hair falling into his eyes, "How did you do that?" Oh no. Can today get any worse?