"I'm not her mother,"

"Ugh do I really have to be here?" Eda groaned and Lilith nudged her slightly.

"Well it's kind of mandatory that you come in and talk to my teachers on parents evening," Luz explained. "So, yeah you kind of have to be here,"

"Ok fine but if they annoy me and I start an argument then that's on them," Eda laughed and Luz rolled her eyes at her mentor.

"You're not funny Eda," Luz smiled trying to hold back her laughter. "Oh! There's Amity! I'll be right back!"

Eda smiled at the teen as she ran off to see a very blushing Amity. Eda cared about Luz more than she cared to admit. It drove her mad when she found out that Luz had to give up her chance to go home because the Emperor forced her to give him the portal. Luz hasn't been the same since. What Eda didn't know was that the kid was having PTSD nightmares. Being thrown off a bridge and watching a person you love sacrifice themselves for you and almost die can leave an impact on you.

"Well, well, well, look who it is," Said a voice behind Eda, knocking her out of her thoughts.

"What do you want Odalia?" Lilith asked.

"Oh I was just coming to check in," Odalia smiled innocently. "Your human isn't as dangerous as they say she is, is she?"

"What are you trying to get at?" Eda asked as the anger rose in her.

"Well I've noticed that my Amity has been spending quite some time with the human," Odalia started. "I don't want Amity to be led astray to your wild ways. I think it's better for the both of them if we find a way to, shall we say...end this friendship."

Eda was ready to punch Odalia. Unfortunately, Lilith was there and would most likely hold her back. Principle Bump, already knowing about the Eda and Odalia drama from their many fights, decided to come over and intervene.

"Hello ladies," He said standing next to them.

"Oh hello Principle Bump," Odalia said smiling innocently again. "Me and Eda were just catching up,"

"I'm going to kill her," Eda muttered out, loud enough for Lilith and Principal Bump to hear her.

"She's trying to take my kid away from her kid," Eda said giving Odalia a death glare. "You can't control your own kids or her friendships. She's a teen who just wants a normal life, leave her be,"

"'Your kid', since when was the human 'your kid'?" Odalia laughed. "You're not her mother."

That sentence rendered Eda speechless. Odalia was right for once. Eda wasn't Luz's mother. Luz had her own mother who she would have to go back to at some point. A mother she would leave Eda and King for.

"J-Just because Luz isn't my kid doesn't mean you need to destroy her social life with your kid," Eda said stuttering slightly. Lilith took notice of this. Never in her life had Eda ever shown weakness in a fight, but at the mention of something she didn't know hurt her till now, she was heartbroken.

"Whatever," Odalia said then smiled towards Principal Bump. "I'll see you later. I have to go talk to some other teachers,"

Odalia walked away and so did Principal Bump, after giving Eda a sympathetic look. Lilith looked at her sisters face and noticed sadness. It had been a while since she saw that look on her sisters face. She was worried.

"C-Can you stay and talk to Luz's teachers?" Eda asked Lilith as she clenched her fists to stop herself from shaking. Lilith nodded and Eda immediately walked towards the exit. She knew Luz would be disappointed but right now Eda needed to escape. She needed to let out her feelings without anyone seeing her.

———————————————————————————

Eda sighed as she stared up at the stars. Only Hooty's snores and the sound of flowing water could be heard.

"You ok?" Lilith asked sitting down on a chair next to her sister.

"Not really," Eda sighed. Lilith sighed and poured some wine into two glasses.

"Want to talk about it?" Lilith asked handing Eda one of the glasses.

"I guess...you could say...I've gone soft on the human," Eda said taking a sip from her glass.

"Really? Hadn't noticed," Lilith said sarcastically. Eda laughed then sighed.

"But Odalia is right, I'm not her mother," Eda sighed. "I never thought I'd want kids. In fact I can't stand kids. I even treated Luz like just a dumb human when we first met but...after everything that has happened, after all the adventures we've been through, I grew attached to her. Luz and King brought a little bit of light in a world that was so dark. I was so alone and I pushed everyone away, but Luz stayed. Even when she found out that I was cursed she didn't walk away from me. She stayed and helped me. I love that kid but I know I'm going to have to give her up at some point. She has her own mother back in the human world,"

Eda sighed as she slouched down in her chair and chugged the rest of the wine in her glass.
"From what I've seen Eda," Lilith started as she reassuringly put her hand on Eda's shoulder. "Luz cares about you a lot. She fought the Emperor for you and gave up her only way home. Trust me it takes real bravery to stand up the Belos. She's an amazing kid and I don't think she's going to leave this place without putting up a fight,"

Eda smiled at her sister then started staring up at the sky again. That was until she felt a pair of arms wrap around her shoulders from behind. It was obviously Luz.

"How long have you been awake kiddo?" Eda asked turning to look at the human.

"Long enough to hear your conversation. I couldn't sleep," Luz went oddly quiet after that sentence.

"Eda," Luz smiled as she looked at the Owl Lady. "My father left me when I was very young. I didn't have anyone care for me accept my mom. Yes, I do have a mother in the human world but I do like to think that I have a mother in this world too. And Lilith is right, I'm not leaving this world or you and King without a fight,"

Eda smiled at the young girl with tears in her eyes.
"Wow it is really windy out here," Eda coughed wiping her eyes. Luz and Lilith were not convinced.

"I love you Eda," Luz said as she wrapped her arms around Eda.

"I love you too kiddo," Eda said hugging Luz back.

"Now who is this Odalia person?" Luz asked.

"Amity's mother, why do you ask?"

"I'm going to kill her for hurting your feelings," Luz smiled innocently and Eda laughed. "And as a bonus we might be able to help Amity too,"

"That sounds like a plan to me kid," Eda laughed. "Lilith you want to help us hide the body?"

"Please don't drag me into this," Lilith sighed and poured herself some more wine. Eda and Luz laughed.

"It's best if you go to bed now kid," Eda smiled but Luz frowned.

"I-I can't sleep," Luz said. She looked down at her feet and muttered out. "I've been having nightmares,"

Eda smiled as she looked at the girl in front of her. She glared at Lilith and Lilith felt guilty.
"How about I stay with you until you got to bed?" Eda suggested and Luz nodded.

Eda ended up with Luz and King in her nest cuddled up to her that night. To be honest, Eda wouldn't have it any other way.

{I honestly don't know what I'm doing anymore}