Chapter 10

Ocean

'' Miss Ocean. . . We meet again. "

He said with amusement in his tone. He wanted to play cat and mouse. And judging by the atmosphere, in this room I was the only mouse, in his opinion. But I had no intention of hiding in a mouse hole. Not this time.

"Mr. Ward, you see that work somehow always puts us together in the end. Unfortunately.''

I pretended to be brave, and in me everything was disassembled to the smallest parts and reassembled, making something that looks like a human being. Me.

His eyes shot daggers in my direction, as if weighing his next move.

Silence reigned between us, and he spoke, chasing the elephant out of the room.

"Do you have something for me?"

Suddenly, from being playful, he became cold and inaccessible again.

I took a few long steps to his massive table, reducing the distance between us. Up close, he was even more attractive. The thick black lashes that obeyed every blink of his sky-blue eyes, mesmerized with their beauty.

I've never felt this way before, and it made me even more uneasy. Why him? Why now?

"Mr. Atkinson sent you these documents indicating that they must be delivered to you in person. Don't flatter yourself by thinking that I came here of my own free will. Here you go.''

I handed him the leather folder, and he didn't even look at it. He fixed his gaze on my eyes, and snorted, leaning his head slightly to the side.

'' Jaxon. . . or as if you call him,  Mr. Atkinson. . . ''

He began to speak, suddenly rising from his chair and walking around the table. He approached me with measured steps and continued with his monologue.

''. . . he must trust you completely, since he gave you these very confidential documents to deliver to me. "

I wonder what is so important in these documents, what caused Kaden's astonishment.

He approached me so that we were now looking each other face to face. He was taller than me and I had to tilt my head up to look him straight in the eyes. He smirked, frowning as if he had come to a conclusion in his head.

"What do you mean by that?"

He came so close to me, that I felt the warmth radiating from his body. He ran the index finger of his right hand over my cheek and jaw line, caressing my chin with his thumb.

''I want to say. . . you must have proved yourself good. . . at work.''

His words hit me like a freight train and the knowledge that he insinuated that I had some love affair with Jaxon ignited anger and rage in me. How dare he?

Without thinking much, I raised my hand and slapped him. The sound of my palm on his cheek echoed through the empty office.

"Don't you dare to say such a thing about me ever again! You crossed the line. "

He placed a hand on his cheek, feeling the pulsating and red skin, on which the marks of my fingers were engraved.

His gaze became frightening and furious. He grabbed me by the elbows with both hands, and pushed me closer. From the force of the blow on his strong chest I uttered a whimper.

He closed his eyes and seemed to absorb my scent as his head slowly swayed from side to side.

"Don't you dare to do this again. Next time you will sincerely regret it. "

He said completely opening his eyes and drilling holes in mine.

"There won't be the next time, because I don't want to see your face ever again in my life."

I said in a fit of rage and adrenaline, and the truth is I knew it wasn't true. I wanted to see that face again, no matter how wrong it may sound. But it didn't feel wrong.

We continued to look each other straight in the eyes, dangerously close to each other, hands clasped. Our lips were one sigh away and he restlessly rolled his gaze from my lips to my eyes and back.

Then he let me go roughly and I could barely restrain myself from staying on my feet. He walked around the table and sat back in his chair. I straightened my suit and straightened my posture.

"You can go now."

He told me, not looking at me, and rotating his chair so that he was now facing a large window.

I watched his thoughtful expression in the reflection of the glass for a few more seconds and proudly left his office.

I walked past Jane's ‚‚twin sister‚‚ without answering, her expression frozen, chewing gum with her mouth open.

The elevator was taking me downstairs, when it stopped on the twenty-first floor and a group of policemen entered.

I nodded in greeting, trying to look composed. Although the experienced policeman's eye did not miss it.

"Is everything all right, miss?"

One of them turned to me and asked me.

'' Of course officer. You know how it is at work, stressful and everything. Thank you for your concern. "

I smiled pleasantly at him. His demeanor seemed to become a little more relaxed so he continued.

"It is my duty to ask, I'm sorry, but you seemed a little stressed out. We had one intervention couple minutes ago in one of the departments in this company, so we are still by the  impression. It's better to check. "

"Of course, thank you for caring."

The bell rang, and we got out of the elevator together. Me and a group of uniformed police officers. When we left the building and were in front of the entrance, a thoughtful policeman shook my hand and I thanked him once again.

I took the phone out of my purse and stepped aside, away from the crowd in front of the building, to a slightly quieter place where I could call Russell to pick me up.

At that moment, I felt someone's hands on my neck and stomach and the force with which they pushed me aside, on a much darker place.

I was surrounded by three men, one of whom pushed me against the wall, holding me tightly by the neck. Ian.

"You little bitch, if you thought you were going to get rid of us by asking the police for help, you were sorely mistaken."

I rolled my eyes in disbelief.

''No. . . I didn't tell anything to the police! It's not what you think. "

In an instant I felt a strong pain spreading through my stomach and his fist leaving my abdomen and rising towards my face. Then a hard blow to the right side of my face.

'' Hey! What are you doing ?! ''

In the background I heard someone's voice. Ian's hands left me and I saw the blurred silhouettes that surrounded me until a few moments ago, as they disappeared.

I slid down the wall onto the cold concrete, struggling for air caused by a hard blow to the stomach.

I felt someone's hands cupped my face and everything turned black.