Chapter 36

Ocean

I awoke abruptly from sleep during the night. I straightened up in a sitting position and took a sharp breath. I wrapped my arms around my throat in a struggle to get air, then I removed the strands of hair that had fallen on my face and neck, suffocating me with their texture.

Sweat was pouring down, wetting my forehead. I can't remember the dream exactly, but the wild rhythm of my heartbeat convincingly told me it was something that shook me deeply. I only remember running away from someone and that in the end some hand from the darkness grabbed me by the ankles of my leg. That's where I woke up.

I glanced at Kaden. He was lying on his stomach, the muscles of his broad back shining under the moonlight that bathed him. The black ink of the tattoos stood out from his tanned skin and blended perfectly with the blackness of his hair.

He breathed evenly and calmly. I smiled as I ran my hands gently through his silky strands of hair. On one occasion, he hinted to me that he had trouble falling asleep at night. That until he met me he didn't even think he would be able to sleep peacefully next to a person in bed.

That thought created some warm feeling around my heart and I wanted to hug him tightly, inhaling his intoxicating scent. But not wanting to disturb his sleep, I just kissed his back tenderly.

The haunting thought of the dream I had recently experience flashed through my mind again and I got out of bed. I pulled on the robe that stood next to the bed and headed for the bathroom to wash my face with cold water.

I glanced at our clothes by the bathroom door and a mischievous smile lit up my face. I think my cheeks were burning, because I could feel the blush radiating from them at the very thought of what we had done earlier this night.

I bent down to pick things up on the chair next to me. I started to pick up his jacket, but when my fingers came across the cold black leather, my face frowned. Under my fingers I felt a foreign object from which my throat constricted, forcing me to swallow hard.

I turned my head cautiously to Kaden, who was still sleeping peacefully. I slowly lifted his jacket, shoving my hand into my inside pocket.

It was dark. The night enveloped my bedroom in darkness, but the smooth surface of the gun shone clearly before my eyes.

I quickly put the gun back in the pocket and left the jacket on the chair and hurried to the bathroom. I closed the door behind me and let the cold water flow down the sink. With trembling hands I took a couple of swings and splashed ice water on my face. My face went numb from the cold just like all my senses. I was dumb.

Why is Kaden carrying a gun? Especially when he comes to see me?

The air barely filled my weak lungs, which struggled in agony to fill their wings.

A picture of my intrusion into Jaxon's office and the gun I saw there went through my head. What is this all about? Does every billionaire own and carry a gun? Are they afraid for their lives or are they intimidate others to be afraid for their own?

I suddenly felt betrayed. Insecure. Although I'm the one who betrayed them both. The feeling was automatic and despite my efforts, it didn't leave me.

I realized that I don't know a lot about the man to whom I declared my love and with whom there is a possibility of having a child. In fact, I know almost nothing.

''Are you okay?''

Strong arms wrapped around my thin waist, making me jump in place with a scream that sounded like a sob.