Chapter 34

Ocean

"What am I doing?"

I said out loud, as a sense of remorse piled up inside me. I leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes tightly. I tried to quickly rewind the film as my inner voice screamed at me.

At this point I already had the feeling that I did not have the strength to fight my demons. I am about to betray the person who helped me when nobody else did. I am about to betray myself.

I squeezed my eyelids even harder and with one deep exhale, I pressed the switch with my right hand. Third on the left, on the control panel, elegantly hidden behind a wooden panel in the surveillance room. When no one was in it.

As it was written to me in the report in the folder I received from Ian.

03.07pm the guard goes for coffee every day
03.09pm entry to the surveillance room. Press the third switch on the left to disable the cameras in his office.
03.11pm start of task execution.03.17pm return of the guard

I strode to the door of his office and put my hand on the doorknob. The moment I enter, there is no going back. The moment I open the door, I will step into the downfall of my salvation. Everything that was intact and innocent in my life until now, will be stained.

I swallowed the bitter taste in my mouth, which went straight to my mental court for self-punishment, and stepped into his office. Jaxon's office.

I had to act fast until the guard came back and realized the cameras weren't working and turned them on.

I looked around the area and hurriedly approached the bookshelf. I counted the fifth line from the top and panickedly searched  for the specific book title.

'' The art of war '' by Sun Tzu.

Sweat dripped from my forehead as the hand of my wristwatch struck like thunder, reminding me that I had to be fast and that there was no room for mistakes.

''There you are.''

When I finally found a well-preserved book with a very old cover, I took it out, as well as five books on either side of it.

As it was written to me in the report that I got from Ian.

Low and wide, a small safe was visible before my eyes.

2109

I remembered the code that was delivered to me and quickly typed the numbers on a small electronic keyboard. The sound of unlocking echoed through my sensitive ears and I nervously glanced at my watch.

03.14

My breath stopped in my throat when I quickly opened the safe and there before my eyes it stood. Yellow sealed envelope. I reached out and took it, when something cold rubbed my fingers. A gun.

A swarm of thoughts began to wander through my head, and I simply didn't have time for that now. I quickly closed the safe door and memorized the scene that was in front of me. 

I began to put the books back in their place, in the order in which I took them off the shelf. Out of great excitement and adrenaline caused by fear, with my trembling hands I knocked down pile of books that landed roughly on the floor.

"Fuck!"

I cursed softly and picked them up off the floor, putting them back on the shelf. Definitely not the way they were supposed to be ordered.

I hid the yellow envelope under my blouse and hurried to the door. I opened them to make sure no one was in the hallway and went out.

Relief suddenly began to spread through my body as my trembling legs carried me to the reception. I sat down on a chair and took a deep breath that barely made it to my lungs.