Chapter 15

Ocean

3 o'clock in the morning. In my room alone, me and my thoughts.

Darkness filled the space, as faint rays of street lighting in hints pierced my walls with pale colors.

I rolled restlessly on the bed, with head on the pillow, head under the pillow, the pillow tightly hugged between my chest. Finally, a pillow being thrown on the floor.

The silence was broken by the loud giggles and chatter of drunken teenagers who were apparently returning from a late night out. Carefree. Full of life. Full of hope.

I couldn't harmonize my brain with my own thoughts, and the dream wasn't even on my mind. The stabbing pain in my chest grew stronger and my reason diminished and narrowed.

What should I decide?

When the weakness and drowsiness began to overwhelm me completely and prepare me for rest, my mother's words lingered through my head:

Sweetie, when you need to make an important decision, sleep over. The morning is smarter than the night.

And it was as if I felt her gentle touch on my hair as I sank into sleep. . .

I opened my eyes, feeling a strong beam of sunlight dazzle me, burning my tired and swollen eyelids.

DAMN!

I looked at the clock on my nightstand, which clearly showed 7.30. I'll be late for work. The day hasn't even started, and it's already shitty. What can I expect next?

I quickly washed myself and put on the first things from the wardrobe that fell under my arm. I ran out into the street, waving my arms frantically in hopes of stopping some taxi, as I pulled on my jacket and tucked my shirt into my skirt.

8.10

Jane's repulsive face was the first thing that greeted me after the elevator door opened and that feeling of nausea in my stomach only escalated.

''You're late.''

I smiled rude, while I internally said to her: go fuck yourself.

I stormed into the office, grabbing the phone, which was already ringing for a long time.

''Yes?''

I threw myself across the table, picking up the phone and spilling a cup of coffee on dozens of papers.

Wonderful, it couldn't get any better.

"Miss Ocean, come to my office and bring me the documents that have arrived for me."

"Right away, sir."

I hung up and wiped the coffee stains off the paper I had soiled, which I now needed to take to Jaxon.

Wonderful, indeed.

A burst of juicy curses left my mouth.

''Come in.''

Jaxon said, after his massive wooden door conveyed my faint knocking.

'' Good morning, Mr. Jaxon. Here are your documents. "

I held out a stack of papers to him, smiling like a schoolgirl. Like I did something wrong. Which I did.

'' Miss Ocean. . . What is this?''

Okay, here goes ten percent of my salary. . .

Preparing to be scolded, I was greeted by a loud giggle from Jaxon. Tears flowed down his face and he held on to his stomach.

I was confused, but not knowing what to do, I soon started giggling too.

"If you didn't know what kind of coffee I like, I'll tell you it's definitely not the one on the paper. I love to drink it from a big cup and possibly in a liquid condition."

He kept laughing, teasing me. It was as if my worries were taken away in an instant with a single movement of my hand. With one smile. I still can't believe I came across such a kind and understanding boss.

''Understood.''

"You can leave now."

I nodded, taking a few steps. Then I turned to him, while his eyes were fixed on me.

''Sorry.''

He just winked at me and looked down at the documents in front of him.

I tried not to look at the clock for the rest of the day, because it reminded me that I had to make a decision. Till tonight. Do I want to die honorably or live a dishonorable and unchaste life. So I immersed myself in the work.

I'm waiting for your answer. Kaden

My phone screen lit up. I picked it up, stared at the message for a few minutes, and locked it.

I swallowed the accumulated stress and all the unpleasant feelings, to dissolve somewhere in my stomach.

The working hours came to an end, so I packed my things and left. I went out, in front of the company, and a gentle breeze danced around my face, while my hair meandered wildly in the wind.

I stood on the curb waiting for a taxi. I took a deep breath. While cold air was filling my lungs, I felt free, even though I knew my end was near.

I will not accept the offer.

Instead of taxi, a black SUV with tinted windows stopped abruptly in front of me, the door opened and a pair of hands forcibly shoved me into the interior.

Dark. The end was felt in the air.