Chapter 11

Kaden

"Mr. Ward, she'll be fine, don't worry. There are no internal injuries, only bruises on the abdomen and face."

Our family doctor, a short, stocky man with gray hair, Joseph, patted me on the shoulder. He took his bag that was next to the bed and left the room.

The room was dark, only the dim light of the nightstand lamp and the crackling sparks of the fireplace illuminating the walls.

She was lying on a huge bed, under the silk sheets. My bed. Her brown, long hair was strewn across my pillow and covered her pale and tender face.

Plump and full lips stood out from her pale complexion. Her calm eyelids hid the greenery of her eyes. Her eyes were so lively and fiery, that I had a feeling if I looked at them any longer I would be blinded by their intensity.

I approached her slowly, tucking a lock of hair that had fallen over her face. I stayed with her for a few moments and watched her in wonder.

What happened to her? Were those people street robbers? Or is something completely different hiding behind her green eyes? It will be up to me to find out.

I went to the fireplace, leaned one hand on it and put the other in the pocket of my tracksuits, sinking my thoughts into the glow and the fiery element in front of me.

I don't do dates. I don't have sleepovers. No woman has ever laid in my bed. In my house.

And here she is, lying in my bed, wrapped in my silk sheets and dressed in my T-shirt. What am I doing?

From the first moment I saw her, there was something in her eyes that drew me to her. The way her hair fell over her curves, emphasizing her slim waist. The way she didn't hesitate to retaliate against me, nor she was interested in my status or power. The way she didn't surrender to me.

From the moment I laid my eyes on her, I could no longer sleep peacefully at night. The thought about her didn't come out of my head.

Women offered themselves to me, and I didn't really have to bother about any of them. Each one came easily, and left even easier.

The last few days, I was waking up at the crack of dawn because I couldn't sleep. Thought that she might be sleeping around with Jaxon was breaking me. Did I feel jealous? Because the feeling is unbearable and tearing.

Ocean. . . the depths of her name drew me into its whirlpools and there was nothing I could do to stay afloat.

Out of my thinking, I was startled by the rustling of bedding and her squeaking.

I turned to her, while only a beam of dim light illuminated her dreamy eyes.

She opened her eyes slowly, getting used to the darkness around her. She frowned and raised her hand to her face, feeling where the bruise was now visible. Then when she became aware of the unfamiliar space around her, she abruptly straightened into a sitting position and surveyed the room.

"What the hell? Where am I? "

She exclaimed, holding on to her stomach in sharp pain from the sudden change in body position.

When she saw me, it was as if she had exhaled with relief. It was as if she was expecting someone else. Someone worse than me.

"Where am I? Where did you bring me? "

She rolled her eyes and narrowed her gaze at me.

''At my place.''

I said relaxed.

She closed her eyes tightly and it was as if turmoil was growing inside her. She opened her eyes and lifted the blanket with an bewildered expression.

'' What the heck? I hope you weren't the one who changed my clothes. You better not be.''

I approached the bed nonchalantly, her stiff gaze following my every step. I rested my hand on the back of the bed.

"What if I did?"

And smirked, leaning quite a bit in her direction.

She raised her chin, looking me straight in the eyes.

''You didn't.''

"Then I didn't."

She pursed her lips, creating tiny wrinkles around the edges of her lips. Suddenly she stood up, my oversized shirt just covering her buttocks, revealing her satin skin of her thighs. She didn't even take a few steps from the bed when I grabbed her by the elbow of her left hand.

"You're not going anywhere until you explain to me what happened there."

She glanced at me briefly, looking back at the door.

"I have nothing to explain to you. And now let me get dressed and leave, or. . . ''

'' Or. . . ''

I waited for her to finish the sentence, but nothing came out of her lips. When I turned her towards me, her eyes were watery and a couple of tears were already sliding down her face.

'' Kaden. . . Leave me alone. Please.''

"Who are those people?"

She was just looking at me and her breathing was getting faster and shallower.

"What did they want from you?"

Silence.

"Why do you care?"

I wanted to open my mouth and say something, but the words didn't come out. Why do I really care? Why am I interested? Why did I bring her to my room, to my bed?

''Exactly. You shouldn't be interested about anything that has to do with me. Thank you for everything, but now let me go home. "

I let go of her hand and we looked at each other for a few more moments. She took her things from the chair and looked at me questioningly, expecting me to come out so she could change.

I headed for the door, and when I grabbed the doorknob, I addressed her without turning.

"My driver will take you home."

And I closed the door.