Chapter 44

Kaden

I never underestimate a single day. I know you can lose everything in one day. In one day you can find what you have been looking for all your life.

One day. That's all it takes.

Sometimes that one day can last a long time, stretching to a couple of days. To get lost in his time and to be drawn into his existence by his whirlpool.

Then your whole life will be one day. One single day.

We sat in a black Jeep, in silence. All four of us. Louis, Jaxon, Ocean and I.

Its wheels led us along winding roads through the city. In a secret shelter. A place no one knew about.

I watched through the tinted windows of the city passing by us through the blur. Everything was unclear. Like the thoughts in my head.

Am I weak because I didn't kill Jaxon? Because I didn't finish what I swore I would finish?

Or did that seeming weakness of mine just  made me strong? To gather courage and unite with the enemy. Come to think of it, Jaxon was my target just because he's William's son. His successor on the mafia throne.

The real enemy is William, his father, whose orders led to my father's deaths. He shamelessly dragged him into his dirty business, despite my father's persistent refusal.

But why would I have mercy on his son if he did not have mercy on my father?

Then I looked at Jaxon. He was looking out the window. He was his father's target. Strange, but at that moment I felt sorry for him.

After he showed me all the documents, I could trust him that his father was really capable of harming him.

It's just amazing to me that so much accumulated anger and jealousy in a man can make a monster out of him. A bloodthirsty human being, eager for revenge.

Then I looked at the Ocean. She was crouched in her seat, her arms crossed over her lap, her face tortured and sad.

I felt sorry for her and Jaxon at that very moment. Neither of them had power over their destiny. One was launched to the mafia throne by fate and the other was tormented both mentally and physically. The fate did no good for neither of them. William made sure of it.

From the story, I realized that Ocean is a victim of the forbidden love of her mother and Jaxon's father. That after the death of her mother, she suffered from her father who destroyed her on so many levels.

That William, Jaxon's father, had manipulated her father to gamble, drink, and finally arranged for him to have a car accident, and then he was free to grab her with his claws, slightly tightening his grip, enjoying the pleasure of her suffering.

And then one day. . . because of course, all that is needed is that one single day. . . I showed up. 

With his stupid contract. Further reinforcing her misery with my twisted ways.

I watched her closely, tingles running almost imperceptibly across her face, forcing her to frown.

Everything would have been finished much earlier if she had just admitted to me that Ian had not left her alone. . . but she did not, because she feared for my life. Because she didn't know who I really was.

That I am much worse than all of them. Because unlike them, who had no choice, I made a choice myself.

"Jaxon, can we stop at a pharmacy? I really have to buy some medicine, I still don't feel well. A I. . . I have to stop by the restroom. "

I opened my mouth to say something. My instinct made me wanna jump and wrap her in a strong hug. To tell her not to worry and that everything will pass.

But I shut my mouth because today just isn't that day.

That one day.

We stopped in front of a pharmacy and she came out, not sparing a glance in my direction.I rubbed the short beard with the fingers of my left hand while holding the phone in my right hand.

"I told my people to announce that I killed you."

That caught Jaxon's attention and he looked at me nodding.

'' I still can't believe what a dirty game he played by handing me the mafia throne just to watch us slowly suffer. To have someone else kill me, while he  joined forces with my uncle to guarantee him protection, because he is already in poor health. All because of his sick hatred of my mother and everything that has to do with her. "

Ocean's face immediately formed before my eyes. I can't let anything happen to her.

"Yesterday when I talked to Ian, we agreed to bring your lifeless body to your father in exchange for mafia leadership."

Jaxon looked at me confused.

'' You see, there's a catch. . . I know he will try to kill me then. But he doesn't know that I have an ace up my sleeve either. "

Jaxon just nodded because he understood what I was talking about, we had already gone through all the details. Evident pain was present on his face. Pain that your only father wants you dead.

I turned my gaze to Louis. Why didn't he tell me something? Was I wrong to want to protect her and not let her interfere with my close ones? Because all my people were part of the mafia. I didn't want that for her. I wanted her to have a chance at a normal life.

Did I have that right to decide for her?

He felt my gaze and looked at me briefly and turned his head again. Now is not the time to discuss about Aria.

The car door opened and Ocean stood motionless, holding on the door handle. She looked me straight in the eyes. Confused, scared and pale.

We were both paralyzed, absorbing each other's gazes. She shook her head and sat down.

I didn't stop looking at her. The car engine started and she turned in my direction looking at me as if she wanted to tell me something.

She opened her mouth but the words did not come out. A tear slid down her cheeks and she made no movement to wipe it away. She was just looking at me.

I raised my hand to wipe away her tear, but I stopped a few inches from her tender and pale face.She didn't flinch at my attempt to approach her. I looked at my fingers and slowly began to pull my hand away.

She closed her eyes tightly, forcing a few more tears to leave her green pools and wiping her wet cheeks herself.

At that moment, I did not understand her behavior.

But I knew we were both fucked up beyond repair.

But I will understand, just not today.

One day. Because it only takes one day.