Chapter 36: Comprehension Dawns

Third Person

The heroes all sit around the table, looking through the papers in the file placed in front of them.

"What does he call himself again?" a person asks.

"We're not sure yet," Someone replies.

All of the hero's faces have the same ashen expression. Thirty victims in the span of a few months is a worrisome feat. Even worse is the state of their bodies.

The people are all of different ages and economic status. The only thing connecting the victims is the fact that each person is missing their eyes. Of course, there's one other thing connecting them but...

"How are we supposed to catch someone who we have no information on?" A hero exclaims.

No one answers. They find themselves unable to.

First Person

I relax on the couch in Hound Dog's office.

It's been many weeks since the camp incident.

Like in my last life, I was able to get my hero's license along with everyone in my class (even Katsuki and Shoto). I've talked to Hound dogs more regularly and I finally feel like I'm improving.

Despite the occasional dream or flashback, I've started to feel more in control of my life. I still feel guilt from my past, but I've come to accept the things that happened to me.

I feel happier now.

Still, something worries me. I have a feeling that I'm forgetting something important and yet I can't figure out what it is.

"Is something wrong?" The hero asks, worried about my prolonged silence.

"Nothing nothing..." I trail off, unsure what to say.

"You're thinking too hard for it to be nothing." He states, leaning back in his office chair to look at me.

I bite my lip in contemplation, "I feel like I'm missing something important, but I don't know what it is."

He frowns in thought, "Perhaps a date or event?"

I shake my head, "No, it's a pressing matter but I just don't know..."

Hound dog goes silent for a moment then states, "I think you should think about it later, perhaps it will come to you."

I nod at his advice and give my farewells.

Leaving the office, I go back to the dorms.

I open the door to pandemonium.

Pillows wiz across the room, as the shouts of my peers, ring in my ears.

As soon as they see me, all motion stops in an almost comedic way.

"Welcome back?" Momo says awkwardly.

A shit-eating grin appears on my face as I pick up a discarded pillow, and throw it. It lands perfectly on her face as the battle commences.

Many hours later, the entire class lays on the living room floor, exhausted from our mock battle. All of us wear happy smiles on our faces (even a certain explosive blonde).

Iida turns on the TV, curious as to what is playing.

He manages to land on a news channel and we stop to listen in.

"...in other news, the police have not found any leads concerning (what people are now calling) their eyeless murders. Over 30 people have died and no evidence has been found at any of the scenes. Despite the police saying they have control of the situation, the lack of clues says otherwise. The only other thing connecting these murders is the symbol carved into each of the victims. We will now show a drawing of the symbol. If you recognize it, the police urge you to call this number shown on your screen. Thank you."

On the corner of the screen, an all too familiar image pops up. The symbol is a badly written kanji of a word I know all too well.

Suddenly everything clicks into place. I now know what I was missing all along.

"Izuku? What's wrong?" My classmates turn to me as they see my ashen expression.

"It's Akuma, he's free."