Chapter 18: Guilt

Third Person

The teachers watch All Might fight Bakugo. After regrouping, the pair decided to try again. The plan wasn't too detailed but the pros understood. From what they could see, Izuku was, not only angry but also exhausted. They could tell that by the huge bags under the young hero's eyes.

As Bakugo throws attacks recklessly, the teachers watch as Izuku appears. He manages to land a hit on All Might who is forced to retreat.

"They're not doing half bad," Cementos says.

The others nod in agreement. Despite having problems at first, the team wasn't trying to kill each other at the very least. That could be due to Izuku's show of fury earlier though.

"I'm surprised that Izuku reacted like that," speaks Midnight.

"He's not who he used to be," Nezu replies with a thoughtful expression.

The heroes mumble in agreement, remembering. Aizawa still had trouble believing that Midoriya is from the future. He felt kind of sorry for the kid, having to hide from his friends.

"I am going to make your lives hell heroes. By the time I'm done with you, you'll wish for death." All Might speaks with an evil smile on his face.

The others can't help but applaud his acting. They appreciate that All Might is really giving it his all in the exercise.

After the hero's words, the other pros expect Midoriya and Bakugo to attack again but Midoriya just stands stock still. It's as if the boy couldn't believe what he was hearing. This confuses the teachers since he should have known this would happen.

"Fucking Deku! What are you doing!?" Katsuki yells at his partner.

To everyone's surprise, Midoriya doesn't move an inch. In fact, he stands so still that, for a moment, the teachers think he's paralyzed. Aizawa feels dread beginning to rise in his stomach, though he doesn't know why.

Then the boy moves.

His classmates and teachers watch as his eyes begin to frantically shift from side to side. It's as if he is looking at something that isn't there. His face shows complete and utter terror. It isn't the kind of scared one would normally think. It's the kind of scared you feel when you're about to die. That is the kind of fear that shows on Izuku's face. His chest begins rising and falling with the weight of his breaths like he can't get enough air. He starts to hyperventilate.

The no. 1 hero, realizing something is wrong, calls Midoriya's name. The boy doesn't react, too caught up in whatever he's thinking or seeing. His classmates and teachers begin to worry about the greenette.

"Deku! Fucking Izuku! What the hell is wrong with you?!" Katsuki yells, a tiny bit of worry in his voice.

Then the screaming begins.

"Stop please!" The boy yells, out of nowhere.

His hands come up to cover his ears. His fingers begin to dig into his scalp. He starts to walk backward, trying to run from whatever is in front of him as the fear grows in his eyes. He continues to yell and plead with someone that isn't there.

"W-what's happening to Midoiya?" Ochacko asks anxiously.

The other students don't answer, their eyes glued to the screen.

In the teacher's room, the dread fills Aizawa. He knows what's happening.

"He's having a panic attack!" Hound Dog says as he stands.

"Fuck!" Shota curses under his breath.

Before the teachers can leave the room to try and help Izuku, he suddenly passes out. All Might moves quickly and catches the child. Bakugo stands stock still, staring at his childhood friend. He can't help but be worried about the sunny boy.

"What's wrong with him?" He asks All Might quietly.

"I-I don't know."

All Might quickly brings the boy to Recovery Girl.

Entering the room, he lays Izuku on a bed. Almost immediately the other teachers, including Chiyo enter. The teachers begin talking amongst themselves about Izuku.

Aizawa looks at Midoriya and feels instantly guilty. He had seen the signs. It didn't take a genius to know that Izuku is traumatized by whatever happened in the future. Aizawa saw the way the boy barely touched his food. Or how he stiffened at sudden contact. Or how he smiled falsely at his friends. Or how he always checked a room for enemies before entering. Shota knew and yet didn't do a thing. He could have easily forced the boy into going to therapy but he just contented himself to watch as the greenette tore himself down. He grits his teeth and clenches his fist wanting to ram his head against a wall. Despite being a successful hero, he couldn't help a single student.

"Sho,"

Aizawa turns to look at his best friend.

Present Mic lays a comforting hand on his, uncurling Aizawa's fingers, "You can't blame yourself."

The yellow-haired hero speaks quietly so that only his friend can hear.

"But-" Aizawa starts to say.

"Don't." Hizashi says, "Midoriya was the one who refused our help. You can't help someone who doesn't want it. None of this is your fault."

Shoto sighs, relenting to his friend's words and knowing he can't fight the inevitable. He can't help but feel grateful towards Yamada. The hero had always been able to read Aizawa like an open book. That is why they are such great friends.

Aizawa sees Yamada flash a reassuring smile at him.

They turn back to the other teachers, who were watching the exchange with interest. Midnight wolf-whistles as she looks at their intertwined hands. His attempts at keeping pink out of his face fail as he hears the other teacher's comments about his friend. Aizawa pulls his hand away as his face turns red.

After a few moments of awkward silence (at least for Shoto) Nezu clears his throat. The teachers once more focus on the problem at hand.

"What are we going to do with him?" Thirteen asks.

Eraserhead, thankful for the change of subject, shrugs slightly.

Nezu sighs in thought, "He won't want to, but seeing that he just had an attack I believe he needs to go to therapy."

The teachers nod in agreement.

"But what if he refuses to go?" Snipe inquires.

"I'm sure we can figure out a way." says All Might.