Chapter 37: Beginning of the End

"So, you're telling me that the killer we've been looking for is Akuma?" Aizawa asks.

I nod, looking down guiltily. If I had noticed earlier, would those people be alive?

'That's right, you should have paid more attention.'

I clench my fists and push away the voices, remembering what Hound dog and my friends have told me.

'There's no point in dwelling on what I could have done, it's better to focus on the now.'

"How do you know?"

My teacher's voice pulls me from my thoughts.

"The kanji," I begin.

"Kanji?" He says, confused.

"He carves them into his victims, the kanji was used in the future to symbolize those who died during the war. It's a mixture of the words death and peace. We carved the symbol on buildings or coffins. Basically wherever there was a tragedy. Only he would know that."

"But why would he write that? Why would he want you to know?" Aizawa mumbles more to himself than to me.

"I'm not sure." I reply, "Akuma never really had reasons for doing things. He acts on his impulses."

I think carefully. It's hard to tell his motives but if I had to guess...

"He could be trying to draw me out? Maybe he wants a fight?"

"A fight? But why? What's to gain from that?" he says, tapping his chin in thought.

I bite my lip, "I don't know."

Aizawa sighs and leans back in his chair.

"I shouldn't expect you to have all the answers. For now, we should tell the police what you know."

I nod in agreement.

Third Person

Akuma glares at Izu-or rather, his father. As much as he wants to kill the man, he can't. They had made a pact after all.

"He should have noticed by now." The black-haired teen says.

"Yes, now onto the next part of the plan." The man replies with a smile.

Akuma grumbles but moves to obey. Leaving the hideout to get his next victim.

AFO watches his 'son' leave. As soon as the boy is out of sight, his smile turns sour.

If it were up to him, he'd never lower himself to making a deal with the boy. But, he has no choice. He needs Izuku to be on his side or dead. As much as he'd like to keep Akuma, the boy is much too hard to control. Not to mention, he isn't as powerful as Izuku. Still, the teen is useful. He grins, happy about his plan's progression. Soon, he'll rid himself of the bother and be as powerful as he once was.

Laughter bursts from his mouth.

However, Akuma isn't as stupid as AFO thinks. He smirks to himself as he thinks about his own plans. Soon he'll have what he wants without having to deal with his 'creator'.

While AFO and Akuma continue to plot and Izuku talks to the police, another group meets in a familiar bar.

Tomura slams his hand on the bar, dissolving some of the wood.

"Fuck him!" he yells, glaring at the wood.

Shigaraki can feel his blood boiling in anger at the teenager who had destroyed their plans. It may have been months ago but they still hadn't recovered from the blow.

His teacher is missing, he has barely any men, and support for heroes is at an all-time high.

He screams in rage and pushes the drinks off the counter. The sound of them shattering fills the room as his heavy breathing joins them.

The others back away from the man-child, not wanting him to get even worse.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Toga asks, unfazed by Tomura's anger.

Tomura turns to the insane girl, "Shut the-"

"Woah there bucko,"

The villains turn to see a man, hidden in the shadows.

Shigaraki growls and opens his mouth again, about to yell at the stranger.

"Hold that thought handjob, I came to propose a deal with you."

Tomura forces himself to calm down (for now at least).

"Who are you?" He snarls.

Akuma steps out of the shadows, the villains parting to make room for him.

"I'm Akuma," he gives an exaggerated bow and smiles, "and I'm here to make a deal with the leader of the League."

"What kind of deal?" Shigaraki asks, his interest peaked.

Akuma's smile turns feral, "I'm planning on destroying this society and I need your help. You're interested right?"

Akuma extends his hand as he speaks, looking at Tomura expectantly. The man-child hesitates momentarily.

"Oh come on," Akuma goads, "it's not like you have any other choices."

Shigaraki reaches out, and takes Akuma's hand, realizing the truth of his words.