Chapter 23

Olivia's POV

"Olivia?" Nick says my name in the same startled voice I whispered his in.

For a moment he continues to kneel on the road beside me where I'm still sprawled on my hands and knees after someone pushed me off the sidewalk. Then he jumps forward and helps me move around so that I'm sitting more comfortably on the cold road.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"I'm fine."

Instead of listening to me, he scans me from my messy hair to my scraped knees and stops only when he's sure I'm not sporting any serious injuries.

"Good." He breathes out and slumps onto the road beside me. "I thought we'd hit you for sure when you stumbled onto the road right in front of our car."

"I was too," I admit, but then continue before he can misunderstand. "It wasn't my fault. Someone pushed me."

"I know."

Because I expected him to disagree with me, his instant agreement takes me off guard. For a second I stare at his expression of relief, wondering what he is thinking. "You know?"

"Yeah." Nick glares at the edge of the sidewalk where I had been standing a few moments ago. "My old man and I saw the hooded figure who pushed you."

I glance around the small circle of space the car's bright headlights are illuminating around us, but I don't see anyone else around. "Your dad was here too?"

"He went after the hooded creep." Nick nods at the street behind me. "Don't fret, he's a good runner. He'll catch the bastard."

"Him? Did you see who it was?"

"Nope. All I saw was a black hood."

"Do you think it was the driver from my accident? I mean, who else would do this to me?" I can't think of anyone else, especially since Nick had seen the figure, which means that whoever it was, they were definitely a human.

"I don't know. We'll have to see when my old man returns."

A few minutes later, officer Wright's footsteps pull Nick away from yet again making sure I'm okay. Instead of with a cuffed culprit though officer Wright returns on his own.

"Where's the bastard?" Nick jumps to his feet.

"Gone." Officer Wright takes in a deep breath and rests his hands on the side of his stomach. "He was too quick."

"You lost him? How could you lose him?"

"It's not his fault." I step in before Nick's voice can get any colder. It's, after all, obvious from Officer Wright's shallow and quick breaths that the culprit didn't get away because of a lack of trying on the officer's part.

"Olivia?" Officer Wright snaps his eyes to me. He sounds just as surprised as Nick did, which tells me that neither of them knew I was the person they almost ran over. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

To show him that I'm uninjured I move to get up. Before I can lift a finger, Nick offers me his hand. With a smile in thanks, I accept his help and allow him to pull me to my feet.

"Do you think it could have been the same person I remembered leaning over me on the night of the accident?" I ask.

"We can't be sure." Officer Wright shakes his head. "But what are you doing here alone at night?"

"I thought that me standing in the middle of the road in darkness while a car approaches me would help me trigger my missing memories."

Officer Wright begins to open his mouth, but before he can say anything, Nick grabs my forearms and forces me to face him.