Chapter 32

Olivia's POV

"Did the too-interested doctor check you for any other injuries?" Samuel asks as he stops beside my bed.

I, however, am still frozen beside the closed door of my bedroom. I'm staring at Samuel, trying to process his words about us being here to sleep.

"What are you waiting for? Get in." Samuel nudges his head at my bed.

I glance from him to the unmade bed and then step by step edge closer to the bed. "It wasn't Dr. Kate. She wasn't on duty tonight. It was the same hot doctor from when I was first admitted to the hospital after the accident."

Once I reach the bed and climb underneath the blanket, Samuel heads toward the door. An instant exhale pushes out of my mouth. He isn't staying with me, after all.

Instead of leaving the room, however, Samuel turns off the lights. The room is swallowed into instant darkness and my entire body freezes into a stiff plank. He can't possibly...

I jump a foot into the air as the bed squeaks underneath Samuel's weight. He lies on top of the blanket on the other side of the bed.

"What are you doing?" I press my side of the blanket up to my chin.

"Keeping my word." Samuel settles on his back, with his arms propped behind his head. "But if you think I'm spending the next six hours in your laundry-covered chair, you better think twice. Now, go to sleep."

"You expect me to sleep while there is a guy in my bed?"

"Yes. Now, close your eyes and relax."

I settle onto my back but keep both my eyes and my muscles wide alert. "If the driver is a woman, what does this mean for the man I described to the police? Do you think he's the Guardian who saved me?"

"Most likely." Samuel sighs. "You already planning what reckless thing to do next?"

"No." I keep my eyes focused on the ceiling despite feeling his eyes on me. "I've been thinking... You said there's another way; one which doesn't involve me hurting myself. I want us to try that."

For a moment nothing but silence surrounds us, so when I can't take it any longer, I turn my head to the side. Samuel is still staring at me, but his expression is hidden in the silent darkness of the night.

"What brought this on?" he asks.

"I realized you were right. All of you were. My impulsive nature is the reason I made a terrible mistake that night."

"You remembered how the accident happened?"

"Sort of, but that's not what I'm talking about. The mistake I made is walking away from someone who needed my help."

This is another reason why I don't want to close my eyes. I'm afraid to see the boy's haunting eyes again or hear the kicks slamming into his body.

"Fine." Samuel pulls my attention back into the dark bedroom. "I'll help you, but under one condition. You can't do anything impulsive from now on."

"I'll try."

Another short silence follows, but this time I discover I don't find it so uncomfortable. In fact, the rigidness has now completely left my muscles, and I can actually feel my eyelids starting to gain weight.

"We'll start with finding out why you were headed in the direction of the intersection," Samuel says. "The Wrights live near the Davises, so I know there's a nearer bus stop in the opposite direction from the intersection."

"I knew you'd come up with a plan."

I'm not sure if it's the comfort of knowing that I'm not alone in this or the inviting warmth radiating off Samuel's body, but soon I feel my thoughts drifting away. Instead of oblivion, however, I see a big guy kneeling over me. The guy, who I now suspect is a Guardian, is kneeling at my side while keeping his hands pressed on my inner left forearm. I want to open my mouth, but my muscles refuse to cooperate.