Chapter 36

Olivia's POV

A minute ticks by, but I'm still staring at Nick after he said that he's romantically interested in me. The same guy, who fled from our first date, thinking I was crazy. He and Dad are both staring back at me, looking like they expect me to respond, but all that exists inside my brain is a big muddled mess.

I mean, I never thought that Nick... That he might... That he...

"That little piece of shit."

The curse doesn't come from Dad but from Samuel. This finally reminds me of his towering presence right beside me. Almost hesitantly, I turn my head to the side and find him glaring at his other charge. I open my mouth to ask him what's wrong, but then remember our audience and quickly turn back to Nick and my dad.

"I'll..." Nick clears his throat and averts his eyes. "I'll leave you to talk to your father, but call me the second something happens. Okay?"

"She doesn't need you." Samuel wraps his arm around my waist and tugs me so close to him that our hips brush against each other.

"I promise." I ignore Samuel and assure Nick.

With a quick nod at my dad, Nick steps away from us and a few steps later rounds the corner onto the main street, disappearing out of our sight.

"That was," Dad clears his throat, "unexpected."

"Let's just go into the café." I shake my head to clear my thoughts and ignore the accelerated thumps of my heart; especially because I'm not sure what the reaction is connected to—Nick's confession or the way Samuel pulled me close to him.

"The boy doesn't seem too bad," Dad says as we make our way to the café's front entrance. "He looks like a stand-up guy. I bet you two would make a good couple."

Before I can open my mouth to reply, Dad suddenly loses his balance. He isn't quick enough to catch himself, so he ends up with his face pressed against the sidewalk. I snap my eyes back to see what he tripped on, only to find Samuel with his foot extended and hooked around my dad's foot.

"What are you doing?" I glare at him.

"What?" Samuel shrugs and pulls his foot back. "He deserved it. To even think of you and Nick as a couple? That's absurd."

I roll my eyes at his petty behavior and help Dad back to his feet.

"I must be more tired than I thought if I managed to trip on even ground." Dad shakes his head and dusts off the white particles coating his black pants.

"Don't worry." I link my arm around his and pull him back into the direction of the café's front entrance. "It wasn't your fault."

The bell announces our entrance and I lead us over to an empty table close to the window-covered wall facing the main street. I sit onto the chair facing toward the rest of the café, Dad slumps into the chair across the table from me, and Samuel chooses the chair in between the two of us. He doesn't seem satisfied with its position, though, because he immediately begins to edge his chair closer to my side of the table. Luckily Dad is too preoccupied with taking off his shoes to notice the loud scraping Samuel is causing.

"Watch it," I hiss at Samuel when he stops moving his chair.

"What?" Dad looks up from his now shoeless feet.

"I wasn't talking to you." I wave him off.

"Who else would you be talking to?"

"Olivia?" I'm spared from answering when Hugo meanders to our table. "Why are you back?"