Chapter 48

Olivia's POV

"Good morning, Olivia," Anya greets me with a voice that sounds like a sleazy whine. She is still standing in the open doorway of our kitchen, looking as if she has every right to be here.

"Sit." Mom gestures for Anya to come to the table, while she heads back to the counter. "Since it's one of the rare Saturdays when Anya doesn't have work, I decided to invite her over for breakfast."

"Your mother really is the nicest person I've ever met." Anya strolls to the table. "It's why I can't understand how you could put her through such worry last night. It's irresponsible to be running around town on your own."

I stare at her uncomprehendingly for another moment and then finally gather my wits. "Get out." I jump to my feet and point at the back door. "Get out right now."

"Liv!" Mom snaps to me with a horrified look. "I'm so sorry, Anya. I don't—"

"Get out!" I scream.

For a second, Mom and Anya freeze. But while Mom continues to look taken aback, Anya shrugs and heads for the door I'm still pointing at.

"I guess the two of you have things to discuss." Anya saunters to the door and I follow a step behind her. "I'll come to visit when you're in a more agreeable mood."

The moment she steps out of the house, I grab the door and send her my fiercest glare. "The next time you enter this house I'll call the police."

Without another word, I slam the door in her face.

"That was unexpected." The voice comes from across the room, where I find Eliza leaning against the wall. "I didn't know you had it in you."

Because Mom is still inside the kitchen, I'm forced to ignore her and focus on Mom instead.

"What was that?" Mom rests her hands on her hips. "If you wanted so badly to be alone with me, you could have said so. There was no need to shout. You need to apologize to Anya right now."

"Never. You may not know it yet, but you're the one in the wrong."

"Because I invited a friend over for breakfast?"

"No." I shake my head. "Because Anya's the customer who got you fired."

"What?" Mom's mouth drops open, but then she quickly closes it. "You must have heard wrong. Anya's been my client for over two years. We might have become friends only recently—around the time of your car accident—but she would never do such a thing. And even if she did complain about me, she would never do it with the intention of getting me fired."

"Why are you defending her?"

"Because she's a good—"

"She's the driver." I can't take it anymore. Mom needs to know the truth. "I remembered what the woman, who kneeled over me after she ran me over, looked like, and it was Anya. She's the person who almost killed me."

While Mom continues to gape at me, Eliza whistles from the other end of the room.

"I knew her Guardian was sketchy," Eliza says, "but I never thought his charge was the same."

"But... But..." Mom's stutter pulls my eyes back to her. "Anya told me... She told me that they arrested some doctor. That she's the driver."

"The police made a mistake. I clearly remember Anya leaning over me right after the accident."

Mom shakes her head and turns to the table. She takes the first step forward, but before she completes it, she staggers to the side. I rush to her and then guide her to the table where she sits on her usual chair. Eliza, in the meantime, takes my chair, which leaves me with no other option but to crouch in front of Mom until we're on the same eye level.