Chapter 50

Olivia's POV

"It all makes sense now," I breathe out as the truth smashes down on me. I'm still standing beside Dad, facing officer Wright's desk, while being painfully aware of the trio not far behind me. "From the very beginning, Dr. Kate acted like she knew me. She knows I'm your daughter, doesn't she?"

"Yes," Dad confirms my suspicion. "She's the one who first told me about your accident. It's why I know she isn't the driver."

"Don't worry. I know it wasn't her," I reassure him and then glance at officer Wright. "I already told the police as much, but they won't listen to me."

"She told you she remembers who the driver is," Nick adds from a step behind me. "Why aren't you doing anything?"

"It's not that easy." Officer Wright slumps into his chair. "For one the license registered under the doctor's name matches the partial one Olivia gave us."

"But so must several others." Nick shakes his head.

"We also haven't found her car," officer Wright continues.

"That's because it's with me." Dad raises his hand. "I needed a car Olivia wouldn't recognize, while I followed her, so Kate lent me hers."

"Are you willing to let us search the vehicle?" Officer Wright narrows his eyes at my dad.

"If you release Kate. It's been almost twenty-four hours anyway, so either you charge or release her."

The two fathers hold each other's eyes for a moment until officer Wright finally nods. "Davis?" he says. "Release doctor Kattan."

"I'm coming with you." Dad steps forward and follows the other officer out of the room.

The moment officer Davis and my dad leave, officer Wright turns to his son. "I want to have a word in private with you Nick."

Instead of following his father's order, Nick taps me on my shoulder and waits until I turn around to face him. Wordlessly he asks me if I'll be okay on my own. While I don't have anything against Nick talking to his father, I know that the moment Nick leaves my side, so will Samuel. And after finally being reunited with him, I don't want us to part again.

"Fine." Eliza pushes out a loud sigh. "I'll stay with the cop's son, and you can leave with lover boy."

"Thank you," Samuel says aloud, while I mouth the same words.

I have only enough time to tell Nick that I'll wait outside the building before Samuel pulls me out of the room. We head through the front entrance and a little further to the side, to the spot where we were forced to part a day ago. Just like right before the Head Guardian arrived, Samuel pushes me against the wall and kisses the breath out of me. And while the location makes my skin crawl with unease, I forget about everything the moment our lips meet.

"What can we do to get you reinstated as my Guardian?" I break the kiss, but at the same time keep my hands wrapped around two fistfuls of his thin sweater, ensuring myself that he can't disappear on me.

"I don't know." Samuel sighs and leans his forehead against mine. "First we need to ensure the Head Guardian doesn't get her hands on your ability and your memories. So, the next time you see her, hide."

"Okay. But what about—"

"Olivia?"

I turn my head to the side to find Dad and Dr. Kate walk through the front entrance hand-in-hand. I detach myself from the wall but wrap my hand around Samuel's before making my way over to them.

"Thank you so much, Olivia dear." Dr. Kate grasps my free hand in between hers. "I'm so happy you now know the truth, especially since I must have seemed like a very pushy doctor."