Chapter 43

Olivia's POV

"All we need to do is tell the Head Guardian that the Guardian responsible for my ability to see you is Hugo's Guardian and not you," I say as Samuel and I get off the bus.

We're on our way to work, and despite it being less than twenty-four hours since I met Charlie, I feel like the meeting happened days ago.

"Wait."

I stop and turn to Samuel. He has his hands clasped behind his back, which I'm sure is because of the female Guardian shuffling behind an old lady across the street. Otherwise, I'm sure he would have grabbed my hand and tugged me back, instead of simply telling me to stop.

"I know what you're thinking." I press the wireless earbud deeper into my ear. "You're doubting that the Head Guardian will know who Hugo is, right?"

Samuel glances at the Guardian across the street and nods.

"Then we first need to find out what the Guardian's name is. That should be enough to clear your name."

I turn in the direction of the intersection from the accident, but before I can take a single step forward, Samuel clasps his hand over my shoulder. With an iron hold, he forces me to turn a hundred and eighty degrees and then edge in the direction of the café instead.

"You promised to listen to me," he reminds me.

"I know, but we're running out of time. The three weeks the Head Guardian gave us are almost up." I turn my head to steal another glance at the intersection, but the glare Samuel shoots me tells me it's never going to happen.

"We still have three days left," he says.

"I thought you wanted to clear your name and avoid an additional punishment as soon as possible."

"I do want to clear my name, but I first want to find out why the Guardian saved you; especially because you aren't his charge."

The final tone in his voice leaves me with no other option but to drag my feet all the way to the café, where Ramona is already waiting for me.

"Morning," she greets me with her usual grumble. "Where's the cop's son? Did you have a fight?"

"Nick?" I ask. "He's busy right now, but he promised to swing by a little later. And no, we didn't fight."

"Wouldn't hurt if you did," Samuel mutters.

I begin to roll my eyes at him, but before I can complete a full circle, Samuel grabs my chin and presses a jealous kiss onto my lips. It's nothing but a brief brush of our lips, but that doesn't stop the ridiculous smile that sneaks onto my face.

"What's with the look?"

Ramona's question reminds me that while I'm aware of the good-looking Guardian standing less than half a step from me, all she sees is me making kissing faces at an empty patch of air.

"You wouldn't believe me even if I told you." I shake my head and make my way to the staff room.

Tying my apron, I round the counter and wait for Ramona to switch the front sign from closed to open. The moment she does so the first handful of our regular customers enter, and I busy myself with preparing their usual orders. Samuel, on the other hand, makes himself comfortable on his by now usual stool.

Right when I finish delivering the first round of coffees, the entrance bell goes off, but to my surprise, the person who enters isn't another one of our regular customers. It's someone even more familiar.

"Dad?"

I gape at my dad as he waves at me and skips to the counter. Of all the empty stools he chooses the one Samuel is sitting on, which forces the Guardian to jump off before Dad can brush against him.