Chapter 7

Olivia's POV

"Olivia Han?"

I snap my head up to find a nurse with a clipboard in her hands standing just outside the doctor's office. "Here."

I stand and turn to send one last pointed look at Mom's Guardian, Eliza. To my surprise, she grumpily raises into a standing position as well.

"What are you doing?" I whisper, aware that we're in the middle of a crowded waiting room. "You're Mom's Guardian, so you need to wait here for her."

Eliza, however, shoulders her way past me and enters through the wide-open door, which the nurse is still holding open for me. Her decision to come with me takes me by surprise because she's been ignoring me for the past couple of hours. For some reason, she's been refusing to share anything else about Guardians with me ever since I stopped that thief from stealing the woman's wallet.

"Ms. Han?" The nurse repeats.

"Coming." I enter the doctor's office, while the nurse closes the door behind me.

Eliza is already inside the room and is sitting on the only other chair apart from the doctor's chair. This leaves me with no other option but to sit on the examination bed. The paper sheet, which is covering the bed, rustles with every small movement I make until I finally find a comfortable position and rest the crutches against the bed's side.

"Are you back to speaking with me?" I focus on Eliza, who is sitting across the room from me. "Because if you are, I really want to know if it's a Guardian thing to be so bipolar, or if it's just you?"

"Are you that dumb?" Eliza rests her elbow against the window ledge beside her and leans her head onto her open palm.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You seeing me isn't exactly normal, and the last thing I'm in the mood for is to get in trouble with our Head. Which would surely happen, had I openly spoken with you inside that waiting room."

"Your Head? As in Head Guardian?"

"No." Eliza shakes her head. "We're switching roles now. This time you're going to answer my questions, starting with what caused your ability to see us."

I open my mouth to answer just as the door opens. Instead of the hot doctor from my first visit, a beauty in her later forties walks in. Her brown curls and olive skin are emphasized by the blindingly white color of her doctor's coat. What catches most of my attention though, are the wide smile and the warm eyes that begin to sparkle the moment they land on me.

"Oh, you're already here?" The doctor closes the door behind her. "So sorry to have kept you waiting."

"Dr. Kattan." I read her name tag as she rushes over to her desk.

"No, none of that doctor business. Call me Kate." She lays the file from her hands onto the desk without ever glancing at it and then turns around to face me. "You must be Olivia. It's so nice to finally meet you."

"Okay." I glance at Eliza, who is staring through the window instead of paying attention to us. "Is the hot doctor from my last visit not available today?"

"I'm afraid not," the doctor chuckles. "I wasn't at work on the night you were brought in, otherwise, I would have been there to make sure you were okay. Now, tell me, how are you feeling?" While speaking, she diminishes the distance between us and pulls a small flashlight out of her pocket.

"I'm fine." I force myself to remain still, while she shines the light first into my right and then into my left eye.

"Good." She nods and removes the bright light. "What about your head? Have you've been experiencing any headaches?"