Chapter 46

Samuel's POV

"Olivia?" I whisper, but it's already too late.

Instead of the police station, I find myself inside what looks like a standard three-bedded hospital room. I'm standing at the foot of the bed closes to the door, while Charlie, Nick's brother, is sitting on the middle one. He is hunched over a phone, but instead of hospital pajamas, he is dressed in a pair of plain jeans and a black T-shirt with the Bat-Signal drawn over his chest.

My presence inside the room must mean that Nick is somewhere around, but I don't bother to check on his location. Instead, I snap my eyes close and think of Olivia. Normally the mere thought of one of my charges causes me to teleport to their side, yet when I open my eyes again I'm still inside the hospital room. I'm about to try again when the Head Guardian's last words echo through my mind.

From this moment onward, you, Samuel Yang, are no longer Olivia Han's Guardian.

A dark blaze flares inside my chest and before I know it my leg shoots forward. I kick the chair beside the bed I'm standing next to, causing it to flip over. At the loud bang, Charlie snaps his eyes from his phone. He first looks in my direction and then at the fallen chair a few feet away from him.

"What the..." he begins and then turns to the window at the opposite end of the room. "Get your psychic abilities under control."

Standing beside the window, with his back turned to the rest of the room, is Nick. At Charlie's comment, he turns first toward him and then the overturned chair, but a moment later he wordlessly snaps back to the world on the other side of the window.

His clenched fists finally remind me of what happened at the intersection right after Olivia remembered Anya's role in the accident. Or more importantly, I remember the hurt look on Olivia's face when the idiot called her crazy and then walked away from her.

"You've been glaring at the window ever since you returned," Charlie says. "And since you're the only other person in here, it must mean you caused the chair to fall."

"Shut up," Nick hisses.

"Did you have a fight with that girl? The one you brought here?" Charlie lowers the phone onto the bed and focuses on his brother. "Olivia something?"

"Stop." Nick tightens his hands into paler fists.

"Just apologize for what you did wrong." Charlie shrugs. "Even I know that's how it works with girls, and I'm only thirteen. Say you're sorry and that she's the one who's right."

"You know nothing." Nick leans his forehead onto the glass.

"No, you know nothing." I glare at Nick's back. "You should be with Olivia right now." After all, if I'm unable to be at her side, then at least he should be there.

Charlie clears his throat and glances toward the door, his eyes flickering all around the room. "When's Dad coming?"

He pauses for Nick to answer, but the older sibling remains a stubborn idiot and continues to wordlessly face the outside world.

"I can't wait to sleep in my own bed again." With a sigh, Charlie lies onto the bed and folds his arms behind his head. "And to eat take-out food again. You've no idea how sick I'm of this hospital garbage."

Charlie's monologue is interrupted by Nick's ringtone. Nick pulls his phone out of the pocket of his jeans and then looks at the caller ID, but instead of answering, he swipes the call to ignore and stuffs the phone back into his pocket.

"It's the girl, isn't it?" Charlie asks.

"Is Olivia calling you?" I repeat the question when Nick continues to ignore his brother.