Chapter 15

Samuel's POV

The moment the minute head on my pocket watch reaches the number twelve I close my eyes. I allow my thoughts to drift to the charge most often on my mind these days and feel a shift in the air. When I open my eyes, instead of Olivia's house, I find myself standing in the middle of the police station. Desk after desk fills the room, and despite the late hour, at least two phones are ringing.

I recognize officer Wright, who is sitting behind his desk, and Nick, who is standing a few steps away with his arms folded in front of his chest. For a moment I think I arrived at the wrong charge and begin to close my eyes. Then, however, my eyes land on the back of a familiar girl.

From her back alone I can tell it's Olivia. Like always she is dressed in a pair of sweats and a loose shirt, which hides her small curves. She has her head turned in Nick's direction, and only then I notice Olivia's mother, Mina, standing a couple of steps away from Nick.

"I'll leave as soon as you tell me what's Olivia doing here," Nick says.

"I want to know that as well," I say.

Olivia's shoulders tense, but it takes her another moment before she turns around to face me.

"Why are you at the police station?" I ask.

Her dark eyes flicker to my right, and I follow her gaze to a somewhat familiar girl standing beside me. I instantly know she's a fellow Guardian, but it takes me another second to realize that she's Mina's Guardian.

"What happened?" I ask her.

She flicks her eyes up and down my body and then turns away. "You've never spoken to me since our first introduction, so what makes you think I'll help you now?" She closes her mouth but then opens it again. Instead of another denial, she hisses, "Bloody hell. They always choose the best moments to mess with my charges."

Without another word, she closes her eyes and disappears. And judging from her words, I'm guessing she felt the fear of one of her charges being in danger because of a supernatural being.

I turn back to Olivia to find her already facing Nick's father. Instead of focusing on her words, I roam with my eyes around the back of her head until I catch a red patch at the center back of her head. A patch of what looks like dried blood.

"What happened?" My hand twitches, but I force it to remain at my side. "Why are you—"

"I fell and injured myself," Olivia says, but because she's facing away from me, I'm not sure who she's talking to. "When I fell, I remembered the driver from the car accident. And now I'm here to describe the man to officer Wright, so he can finally catch him."

While more questions swarm my mind at her explanation, Nick nods and then wordlessly leaves the room. Once he's gone Olivia gives a detailed description of everything she can remember to Wright. It isn't much, but at least they now know what the driver looks like.

In the end, Wright and his partner Davis promise to catch the guy Olivia described, while Mina takes over Olivia's seat and fills out some documents.

"We need to talk," I tell Olivia the moment she is back on her feet and crutches.

"I'll wait for you outside," Olivia says to Mina and then hops out of the police station.

I follow behind her while making sure she doesn't do anything else to hurt herself. The last thing I need right now is for her to end up in the hospital for another couple of days.

The moment we step through the glass door and onto the already dark street, Olivia stops and turns around to face me. "What do—" She suddenly stops.