Chapter 45

Olivia's POV

"Don't you want to know who the woman is?" officer Wright asks.

He's still sitting across his desk from me, while my brain is spinning with the realization that the police have already arrested Anya.

"There's no need. I already know who she is. It's why I'm here actually. I remembered her leaning over me, so I came here to tell you who she is."

"You remember seeing her?" Officer Wright's eyebrows shoot up into two wide arches. "That's perfect. You can give your statement again, so we can ensure there'll be no way she can get out of—Ah, there they are."

I turn my head to the entrance and the first person my eyes land on is Dr. Kate. For once, she isn't wearing her pearl white doctor's coat. Instead, she's dressed in a simple pair of jeans and what looks like a man's shirt. She has her eyes wide open, while the rest of her complexion looks paler than I have ever seen her look. Her arms are tucked behind her back, where officer Davis is walking behind her.

"Dr. Kate?" I ask.

"Olivia!" Dr. Kate takes a step closer to me the moment her eyes meet mine. "Tell them it's not true. Tell them they're making a mistake."

"What's going on?" I glance from Dr. Kate to officer Wright and find him silently observing the doctor with narrowed eyes.

"Olivia, I think—" Samuel begins, reminding me that he's still standing beside the chair I'm sitting on.

I don't let him finish, though. "Why is Dr. Kate here?" I ask officer Wright.

"What do you mean? I just told you. We arrested the woman who drove the car that hit you—dr. Kate Kattan."

"That's not true." Dr. Kate violently shakes her head. "I didn't—"

Before she can finish, officer Davis grabs her upper arm and pulls her toward the other end of the room. Only then do I notice the metal gleam of the pair of handcuffs strapped to both of the doctor's wrists.

"Olivia," Dr. Kate turns to me with pleading eyes, while officer Davis continues to drag her behind him. "Tell them they're making a mistake."

I open my mouth to defend her, but it's already too late. Officer Davis pulls her out of the room, leaving her shouts of denial echoing through the surrounding room and my mind. Her protests die only when a loud bang of slamming metal cuts off all sounds.

"What some people won't do to evade justice."

The smooth feminine voice sends a cold shiver down my neck as I slowly turn in the direction the voice came from. Leaning against the side of a nearby desk is Anya, wrapped in her usual silk shirt and a tight pencil skirt. A step to her right stands Lucien, but opposite to Anya's smirk, he has his features molded into an unreadable stare.

"Ms. Ivanovna," officer Wright greets her. "Olivia, this is the woman who tipped us off on the doctor's involvement in the accident."

"What?" I stare at Anya, not believing either my eyes or my ears. How could Dr. Kate be the one arrested and not Anya?

"It was the least I could do." Anya inclines her head at officer Wright but keeps her malicious eyes on me.

"You've got his all wrong." I snap my head back to officer Wright and point with my index finger at Anya. "She's the driver. Anya's the one I saw leaning over me."

"Are you still angry with me?" Anya turns her smirk into the fakest pout I have ever seen. "I thought we've already moved past it."

"What?" Officer Wright glances from me to Anya.