Chapter 39

Olivia's POV

"I'll be right back." I shoot up from the kitchen chair, but before I can take a single step forward, Samuel grabs my wrist.

"What's the point?" He pulls me back closer to him to where he's still leaning against the table. "I've seen you in your messiest states before you knew I existed."

"Pervert." I tear my arm out of his hold while fighting the massive blush threatening to turn my cheeks into a red traffic light. "Stay here."

Without another glance, I skid out of the kitchen and down the hallway into my bedroom. I grab the nearest fresh clothes and then dart into the bathroom, where I lock the door just in case. Only once I'm showered and dressed do I pause. I stop in front of the mirror above the sink and with the use of my long sleeve wipe a wide circle into the mist-covered surface. Although the dark half-moons underneath my eyes wail about the worry-filled night behind me, the rosy cheeks and soft smile have already moved on.

With one simple remark, Samuel managed to blow away my dark morning thoughts and replace them with a nervous scramble. While I'm still worried about Mom, most of my attention is now focused on the Guardian waiting for me in the kitchen.

The longer I stare at my reflection the clearer my thoughts become until I can't deny it anymore. I want to spend more time with Samuel. Not just while looking for my missing memories, but also on lazy days like today. I want him to be at my side from the moment I open my eyes until the second I close them again. And even when I'm asleep I want to know he's near.

I might not be good at thinking things through, but even I know what this means. I'm starting to fall for him.

As soon as I realize this, another thought pops up. While I've been busy searching for my memories, I forgot what their discovery will lead to. Once I prove that Samuel isn't the one who saved me, his punishment as a Guardian will end. And this means only one thing. He will forever disappear out of my life.

My every cell screams at me to stop. To stop trying to find my missing memories and with that to stop Samuel from leaving. As soon as the urge swells up, however, I grit my teeth and count to three.

One. Two. Three.

No matter how much I have grown and will still grow to care for him, this isn't right. I can't make him stay just because I don't want him to leave.

My internal struggle is interrupted when a painful ping erupts inside my head. With a hiss, I lift my hands to my head and crouch down, so I can rest my forehead against the cold edge of the sink. That's what I get for thinking too much.

Seconds tick by before the pain is bearable enough for me to stand back up. With my fingers pressed against my temples, I make my way out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. I need something to distract myself with, so I can stop the life-threatening activity called thinking. It, after all, never ends with anything other than a massive headache.

"What's wrong?"

The second I round the corner into the kitchen Samuel shoots up from the kitchen chair. In two wide steps, he diminishes the distance between us. He gently pries my fingers off my temples and replaces them with his warm hands.

"Is it another memory? Or did you hurt your head?"

I stare into his worried caramel eyes and realize that it's not just me. While I have no idea how deep his feelings run, it's obvious that he cares for me. And not just because I'm his charge.

His eyes roam mine for an answer, but all I do is wordlessly stare back at him. I'm not sure what my gaze is telling him; all I know is that there is a slow heat building up inside my body, whispering to me to diminish the distance between us. To move closer and—

Before I can finish the thought, Samuel leans in. He doesn't kiss me, though. He stops just before his lips would brush against mine, and instead moves his hands from my temples to my cheeks. In a soft caress, he slides his thumb across my cheek.

"What are you doing?" I whisper.

"I'm going to kiss you."

And then he does. He leans across the last inch and presses his lips against mine. The kiss is slow and soft, but its intensity still causes my knees to buckle. I grab onto his upper arms to keep myself standing. I do it just in time because a second later he deepens the kiss and my legs give in.

Before I can make a fool out of myself, Samuel catches me and wraps his arms around my lower back. The action forces our lips to part, and we end up with a few inches in between us—just enough for me to look into his melted-caramel eyes while still feel his warm breath tingle my skin.

"What came over you?" he asks.

"What?" I blink. "You're the one who kissed me."

"But you're the one who begged me with your eyes to kiss you."

"I did no such—" I stop myself before I can finish the thought. The truth is that I don't know what kind of eyes I was looking at him with. All I know is one thing. "I don't want to regret anything later on. This might be our last chance."

"What are you talking about?" He begins to lean away from me, but I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him back closer. "What last chance?"

"This." I rise to my tiptoes, yet before I can kiss him, he moves his mouth out of my reach. "Us. We don't know how long we have left."

"What?" Despite the confusion in his voice, he tightens his arms around me and keeps me pressed against his body.

"Yesterday you said that we never get to spend time on our own. Well, this is it. This is our chance. We have the—"

He once again stops me with a kiss, but this time I don't hesitate. I open my mouth and allow his tongue to brush against mine, which ignites my already heated cheeks into an even darker blush. The same flame then begins to burn down my chest and stomach, all the way to my toes. But it's a good burn—a welcome one.

*

I glance at Samuel to where he is walking beside me and find him already looking at me. For what feels like the tenth time today he takes my breath away. While he is just as good-looking as any other day, what makes my heart pound with twice its normal speed, is the smile that has snuck onto his lips. It makes him look so much more boyish, and it makes me realize that I've never seen him look so relaxed.

It's been almost twenty-four hours since our make-out session in the middle of the kitchen, and the lazy day we then spent talking, kissing, and searching for my memories. But most importantly it's been twenty-four hours since I realized that I can't allow myself to waste the precious time we have left.

With a ping of regret, I move my eyes away from him and turn to the café's front entrance. I'm about to reach for the door handle when Samuel grabs my hand. With quick strides, he leads me around the corner and into the side alley on the left side of the building. I have barely enough time to look up at him before he pushes me against the wall and steals my breath with a toe-curling kiss.

Despite my every instinct telling me to forget about work, I break away from the kiss. "I need to tell you something."

"Can't it wait?" He leans back down, but I press my index finger over his lips.

"No, it can't." I try to narrow my eyes, but it's ruined by the smile stretching my lips. "I need to tell you that I'm starting to care for you."

"Isn't that obvious? Why else would I allow you to kiss me?" With an arrogant smile, he pries my finger off his mouth and leans in for another kiss.

Before he can diminish the breath of distance, someone clears their throat. And it's neither of us.

"I knew she could see us."

***

Please, remember to vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Much love

                - E