Chapter 17

Olivia's POV

I snap my eyes to Mrs. Davis's the moment I realize that what she might be talking about is the night on which I was hit by the car. We are still standing in the middle of the hospital hallway, with Samuel positioned right beside me.

"Mrs. Davis, are—"

Before I can finish, Mrs. Davis glances at the watch wrapped around her wrist. "Oh no, I'm running late. I'm so sorry, but I really have to hurry now."

She almost flies past me, giving me no time to respond. And by the time I manage to rotate my body to follow her, she is already several feet down the hallway. I take a step forward, but Samuel clasps his hand around my wrist and forces me to stay put.

"The doctor said no running," he reminds me.

"I think she knows something about the accident." I try to tear my arm out of his hold, but it's of no use.

"You can ask her tomorrow. You need to rest."

"But..." I try one last time to free myself from Samuel's hold, but it doesn't work.

He forces me to follow him in the opposite direction from the woman who could be holding the key to me learning what happened on the night of the accident.

*

The next morning, I stop in the middle of the sidewalk in front of the intersection from my accident and for a second savor the new freedom of walking without crutches. Then I close my eyes and wait for the memories from that night to reappear.

Instead of images from the accident, first Mom's and then Samuel's warning to take things easy swarm my mind. After them follows Dr. Kate's warning and I automatically reach up to the back of my head. Both the gauze and the bandage are already deep within the trash can inside my house, but that doesn't stop the doctor's warning words from reappearing.

It takes me another five minutes to get rid of the pesky people telling me to take things easy and not to do anything impulsive before I can finally focus on the darkness behind my closed eyelids.

A couple of minutes in, I realize that instead of searching for my missing memories, I'm starting to doze off. With a loud groan, I snap my eyes open and turn my back to the intersection. I head down the street in the direction of the café from my date with Nick. Maybe a fresh cup of coffee will help me find my missing memories.

At the corner of the café, I run into an older woman bent toward the ground. At first, all I can see is the top of her short gray hair and the hand she has resting on her lower back. Then I notice the countless flyers scattered around her and I immediately crouch down to help her. As fast as my hands allow me I gather the flyers into my hands, and then help the older woman back into a standing position.

"Thank you." She pushes her thick glasses closer to her eyes and smiles at me. "You saved my back just now."

"It's no problem." I look at the flyers still in my hands and notice that they're ads to promote the café we're standing in front of. "Don't tell me they tasked you with distributing these flyers?"

"No, no." The woman chuckles. "I'm just filling in for my grandson. The lazy ass should have shown up an hour ago, but I bet he's still slacking off somewhere."

"Then I'll help you." I grab the flyers with both of my hands and smile at her.

"There's no need to."

"Of course, there is." I back up a couple of steps to prevent her from taking the flyers back from me. "I can't allow an old lady like you to do a job that is meant for someone as young as me."