Chapter 58

Olivia's POV

By the time Anya finishes her second step away from us, I've made my decision. I grab the crutches sprawled beside Charlie and swing one forward, right underneath Anya's feet. Just like with Samuel so long ago, her feet knock against the aluminum, causing her to lose her balance. She lands sprawled over the ground.

My entire body, especially my crushed foot, is still screaming in pain, but I grit my teeth and crawl onto my feet. Then I use Charlie's other crutch to stagger over to Anya. I straddle her lower back before she can get up and press the flat circle of the crutch's bottom into the meeting point of her neck and back.

"You're not going anywhere." With my free hand, I fish my phone out of the pocket of my jeans and throw it to Nick, who is now halfway back to his feet. "Call your father and tell him there's been an accident."

"You can't do this!" Anya screeches, wiggling to shake me off.

"Don't force me to pull on your hair or knock your head onto the road." I press the crutch deeper into her back. "I've experienced both and neither one is pretty."

Anya stops trying to get up, but at the same time, she twists her head as far to the side as she can. "You can call whoever you want, but we both know you don't have any proof. Not to mention that you're the one who just jumped in front of my car."

"I'll deal with the consequences of my actions, but so will you." I press the crutch another inch further into her skin.

"I have the proof that she's the driver!" Lucien shouts.

"What?" I snap my head in his direction.

A few steps away from us Samuel still has his fist raised in the air, while Eliza struggles to hold him back. Lucien, on the other hand, is slowly backing away from them.

"Don't believe him," Samuel says. "There's no way he'll betray his own charge."

"I already did." Lucien stops moving and points in the direction of Anya's car. "Who else do you think crashed the car?"

I glance from the car that has its hood smashed into the streetlamp back to Lucien's earnest expression. Can I really trust someone who has been out for Samuel this entire time?

"Do you see what kind of bad influence you are?"

I snap my head in the direction the sudden voice came from and find the Head Guardian standing a few steps away from the crashed car. With narrowed eyes she surveils the scene going on in front of her and then turns back to me.

"You really thought I would not find you, little human? Allowing you to keep your ability might be one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. Just look at these three. They used to be model Guardians, yet now they are interfering with human lives and breaking our most sacred rules."

While Eliza lets go of Samuel and Samuel lowers his fist, I remain frozen in my spot. This can't be happening. 

Not right now.

"Who the hell is that?" Anya's question reminds me that I'm still pinning her to the ground.

As if the arrival of the Head Guardian isn't enough, I realize that while Anya might not be able to see the three Guardians, she is able to see and hear the Head Guardian. Before I can decide on what to do, however, Eliza appears beside me. She grabs a fistful of Anya's hair, pulls it back, and then slams her head into the asphalt below her. Anya is instantly knocked out—just like I was when she did the same to me on that bus stop.

"You're welcome." Eliza winks at me and then stands back up.

"Did you just—" The Head Guardian gapes at Eliza.