Chapter 47

Samuel's POV

"Did Olivia leave already?" Hugo asks, pulling me from my thoughts.

I turn from the empty doorway to the three humans behind me. Nick is back to gazing out of the window, while Charlie and Hugo are sitting on the middle hospital bed.

"What are you talking about?" Charlie asks.

Nick keeps his mouth shut, but I don't fail to notice the way he perks his ears and turns his head a couple of degrees away from the window.

"Olivia said she'd come to visit you," Hugo explains. "Hasn't she?"

I curse underneath my breath as Hugo's words remind me of Olivia's decision to apologize to Charlie and then her realization that Anya is the driver she's been looking for. Before I can do anything else, however, another human enters the hospital room. In the nick of time, I stagger backward, preventing Wright from slamming into me as he advances into the room.

"Sorry I'm late, kid." The cop wipes the sweat clinging to his forehead into his forearm. "Hugo, nice to see you again. How's your grandmother doing?"

Hugo shrugs. "Same as always."

"What took you so long?" Charlie asks his father. "You were supposed to be here half an hour ago."

"Sorry about that. I had to take care of something at the station. But I've already signed your discharge papers, so we're good to go."

"Finally." Charlie slides off the bed, while Hugo hands him a pair of aluminum crutches.

"You're here too, Nick?" Wright notices his other son, who is still glaring at the window. "I was wondering why you weren't with Olivia when she came to the station. Did you guys fight?"

"The station?" Nick snaps his head around. "What was she doing there? Did something happen?"

"Why, we finally found the driver," Wright announces. "And it turned out Olivia was right. The driver was a woman."

"A woman?" Charlie asks. "How'd you find her?"

"We were tipped off, actually. Then we discovered that her license plate matches the partial one Olivia gave us. Who would have thought that the driver was a doctor from this very hospital?" Wright shakes his head.

I barely keep myself from shaking some sense into him. How can he still assume that the doctor is the one responsible after Olivia told him point-blank that he's wrong?

While Charlie and Hugo look surprised by the news, Nick presses his lips into a pale line. "Is the doctor's name Anya?" he asks.

"No, Anya's the woman who tipped us off. The doctor's name is Kate."

"That's not possible." Nick shakes his head. "I heard Olivia say that Anya is the driver from the accident."

"That's all a misunderstanding." Wright waves him off. "Anya unintentionally caused Olivia's mother to be fired and now apparently Olivia is holding a grudge against her."

I snort, but this time push down the urge to kick something.

"You're sure?" Charlie asks. "She didn't seem like a person who'd lie about something like that."

"Listen to him," I urge Wright, despite knowing that it's pointless. No one inside the room can hear me. "You're allowing the real suspect to walk free."

"I think you should look into this Anya," Charlie continues. "I may not know much about what's going on, but I think you should give things another look."

I Have an Invisible Stalker (Guardians #1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara